News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Air raid precautions in Medway's cinemas & theatres  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Air raid precautions in Medway's cinemas & theatres
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:53:19 »
numanfan. Most interesting, the way this info' was put ( squeezed?) into the newspaper indicates that it wasn't felt to be terribly important! I was evacuated to Herne bay  from Barnsole Road School) in Sept. '39 'till July '40. Never, except the day war was declared, remember the siren going off there, certainly not when in the cinema (every Saturday morning "tuppenny rush") but then, that year was "the phoney war". Similarly when back home in Gillingham, August '42 on, I don't remember - & I'm sure I would have - the air raid siren ever going off when in any of the Medway towns cinemas & being told to evacuate. We wouldn't have known where to go, altho' no doubt they would have projected that info' on the screen if necessary. I think many, if not most, people had become a bit blase about air raids by then, almost like the famous WW1 cartoon,  " if it aint got your name on it...".

Offline SKIP

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 14:03:09 »
Very interesting. I love reading articles like this about life in WW2

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 23:35:50 »
That made fascinating reading,thank.you for posting. Seems that in some cases 'the show must go on' and to hell with Hitler and his bombers.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Air raid precautions in Medway's cinemas & theatres
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 20:13:08 »
I'm not sure if this has been posted on here before.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines