News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Oval of marks in field near RAF Milstead  (Read 4643 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
Re: Oval of marks in field near RAF Milstead
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 01:51:24 »
Out of interest, I've overlayed the Swingfield Y Station and it lines up well.  The aerial photo is 1960s and the centre pylon base appears to have already gone.

There is a 1940s aerial photo but it's not very clear.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 01:26:16 »
The Milstead Y Station was at Milstead  conan - very close to the AA battery? (not sure if this is the correct term). 

The Y Station pylon bases show (Yellow Arrows) in this photo and lower down is the AA battery (Red Arrow) which still exists.
As far as I know, nothing visible remains of the Y Station.  It seems a pylon base remained in
an orchard until a few years ago but it has been removed.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 14:03:29 »
It looks like a Y Station array. There was similar one at RAF Sutton Valence that had an annexe at Chart Sutton

cliveh

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 16:39:17 »
I had a quick look just now on my way back from Sittingbourne. No trace of any other building bases as all that area is new "orchard".
The field markings have disappeared under a mature orchard.
What I did notice about the building is that the village end has two garage door size openings. The construction is of a frame of vertical concrete beams and roof joists, the walls being infilled by brick coloured blocks that have no other applied surface inside or out. I think that it was the odd coloured blocks that first caught my attention.
No clues that I could see.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 09:44:16 »
I've carried out numerous searches but found nothing that helps.  Might only be someone who lived there will remember.

Was possibly in place during WW2 and definitely there early 60s - then disappeared as farming took place.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:29:31 »
Could they be old post holes for anti glider wires?
mmitch.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:48:23 »
That's a possibility DaveTheTrain but both show at the same time in the attached photo, so not sure.

I've also added a version making the position of the marks more obvious in case the shape means something to someone.

When zoomed right in the marks appear to be of a square shape with a darker border.

JW

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 22:34:23 »
A random thought JW but could it be the old milstead cricket club?  I know it is further up these days, but the stones could be the outfield markers.  Cant see a wicket though, which may put that theory to bed.
DTT

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 22:03:10 »
Yes CAT - it's almost 'boat' shaped.  I wondered if it might have been an experimental mast design as it's very close to the Y Station and there are buildings close by?

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 20:02:08 »
An interesting photo John Walker,  though I'm I right in seeing that the "oval' is not truly oval, but has a straight end to the left (west, if the photo is north up?). Could this be significant to its use?

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
Oval of marks in field near RAF Milstead
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 11:28:07 »
In a recent Guess the Place the attached photo (circa 1960) was posted showing an oval (yellow arrow) in a field and possible bases of buildings (red arrow)

It was thought it might be to do with the Y Station at RAF Milstead but the Y Station is about half a mile from here near Kingsdown.

There is a remaining brick building (blue arrow) at the bottom right beside the road (Manor Road, Milstead) but nothing else.

In addition to the circle there are two more marks just north of the oval.   Does anyone know what the oval in the field was?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines