News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In These Times by Jenny Uglow  (Read 1280 times)

Offline StuarttheGrant

• Appreciation 9
  • Poynter House a long way from Dover.
Re: In These Times by Jenny Uglow
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 21:23:25 »
I must get a copy of this, I just read a couple of chapters on Amazon and I am hooked.
I will order it Monday when I get my pension.
Stuart...

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
In These Times by Jenny Uglow
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 20:35:39 »
Living in Britain Through Napoleons Wars 1793 - 1815.

This book is just brilliant. It opens a window on the lives of the people at all levels of British society during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. It's told through the letters and diaries of the rich and famous, the not-so rich and famous, farmers, bankers, industrialists, criminals and lawyers. I became totally absorbed in it. The book tells of riotous joy at military and naval victories, as well as taxes, militias, incompetence and corruption. It tells how Britain was totally transformed by the wars, of the growth of the canal network, the abolition of slavery, highland clearances in Scotland and the beginnings of the railways.

Just read it, it's absolutely packed full of fascinating details. For example, the wars cost 1,657,854,518, or three times the combined cost of all the wars which had preceded it since the Glorious Revolution of 1688. A million men and boys joined the Army and the Royal Navy during the 23 year course of the wars and of those, 311,000 had died in action, of wounds or of disease. Two whole generations of Britons fought in the war and a whole generation had been born and had reached adulthood knowing nothing but war.

It's just brilliant.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines