News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Keep the receipt  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Keep the receipt
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 13:59:41 »
I kept a receipt for some curtain material that my mother had just pre WW2- but now I want it it's nowhere to be found! However, what fascinated me in those days was that material- curtains, clothing, etc.- was regularly priced " one & eleven three" or "two & eleven three"; which was one shilling & eleven pence three farthings, etc. A bit like nowadays 1.99, 2.99 except that you could buy farthing toffee then, whereas one p will not buy anything now.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 11:10:45 »
How nice that the receipts have been kept. I started work in Rix's of Gillingham in 1962 and we had the same thing. I was so pleased with myself when I was allowed to sell a customer something , and write on the  ( Pillows to start with ) then progressed to actual furniture when they deemed I was responsible enough  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:49:27 »
Found a couple more, a bit later and less ornate. Contents of some make interesting reading.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 17:04:28 »
How interesting - thank you!  I remember postage stamps with 'Postage Revenue' and that they appeared on documents, but I'd forgotten just how widespread stamps are - National Insurance, Post Office Savings and so on.  And I certainly hadn't twigged that the UK doesn't print the nationality on our stamps because, well, we were the first and so we didn't have to.  A bit on postage stamps, linking through to revenue stamps appears here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_stamps_and_postal_history_of_Great_Britain.

Slightly off-topic, but I recall being struck when I winnowed my father's papers by the fact that stationery came in all sizes - not an obvious standard amongst the lot of it.

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 14:16:36 »
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jR0EAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152&dq=RECEIPT+with+twopenny+stamp&source=bl&ots=tHUkL-EtU6&sig=tZbGpjg-q7Pv5wRDra0X2cspIzM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjE87yw8q7MAhVJKMAKHRF8CLEQ6AEINDAE#v=onepage&q=RECEIPT%20with%20twopenny%20stamp&f=false

This link evidences a Statutory tax going back to George III, when 2d. was worth a fair amount more.  If I remember rightly GPO was a Government department under the Postmaster General.

Offline GP

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:04:30 »

I often wonder why a receipt contained a signature over a stamp. Was it some kind of tax, to the benefit of the GPO !

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 20:12:22 »
The spelling of favor being in what we now consider the American form, without the letter "u" is interesting.  One often sees color similarly written in this period.  Lovely hand writing.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
Keep the receipt
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 14:37:55 »
This splendid foolscap invoice from 19th June, 1902 was for my grandmother's furnishings for her marital home, for use after her forthcoming wedding on 28th June. It is therefore made out to Miss Colyer, 373 Luton Road.

The invoice itself is not numbered as I would expect today, but it is receipted by a numbered and stamped adhesive receipt from a perforated book. The total bill was 24/3/0 but she got a discount of 12/0 and paid 15 on the day and 8/11/0 two days later on 21st.

Makes a modern till roll look very inferior  :)
Illegitimus nil carborundum

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines