News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St. Mary’s, Crundale  (Read 1124 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Re: St. Mary’s, Crundale
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 23:08:38 »
I really liked this one, simple but with so much character.  It seems to be in the middle of nowhere, and we crossed the fields to get to it - which added to it's feeling of isolation.
So nice to see one now too updated during the Victorian period.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 23:00:25 »
What a lovely little church.I looked up the Latin translation on the coat of arms. 

Semper Eadem, translates to Always The Same
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 22:26:00 »
To the left as you walk in the door is an impressive marble slab, it records the death of Reverend John Sprot who died on the 9th December 1466.  He was the Rector of Crundale from 1431 until 1466.  Below is as much as can be deciphered from the Latin Inscription on the slab.
“Pray for the soul of John Sprot, Bachelor of Canonical Law; formerly Rector of this Parish, who bequeathed to each of his parishioners…. Joined together in marriage…. And died the 9th day of December, A.D. 1466.  On whose soul God have mercy.  He was indeed a faithful shepherd of the flock here, and (came to a suitable) end.”

The bequest mentioned was 40 pence to each married parishioner; and 12 pence to each unmarried one.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
St. Mary’s, Crundale
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 22:18:10 »
This Grade I listed church has many early features.  Parts of it date from Centuries 12, 13, 14 and 15.  The church was restored in 1894 after falling into a near derelict state.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines