News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: St. John the Evangelist, Ickham  (Read 1445 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
Re: St. John the Evangelist, Ickham
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 00:51:06 »
Many of my maternal grandmother's family were from Ickham - the Impett family.  Mainly agricultural workers but my Great, Great grandmother was a seamstress working from home in The Street, Ickham.  My Great Grandfather, George Impett was born in The Street and when married he moved to Summerfield as a Market Gardener.  I understand many of the family were christened in this church but I've never followed it like I should do.  Excellent photos Kyn.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
St. John the Evangelist, Ickham
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 20:17:26 »

The first church on this site was wooden and built by the monks of Christchurch Priory in Canterbury after King Offa granted the manor to them.  In 1090 the church was replaced with a flint and stone church which was built partly by the monks themselves. 

Over the next few centuries the church was extended, during the 14th century the chancel was rebuilt and is set off to one side, a feature known as a weeping chancel. 

The base of the tower has an original Norman doorway.

The North Transept holds the Heghtresbury tomb in a richly decorated tomb recess, possibly for William de Heghtresbury who was the rector at Ickham in 1354.

The Baa Transept (South) was built during the mid-14th century and was used as a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas.  It has a matching richly decorated tomb recess containing the tomb of Sir Thomas de Baa who died in 1339.

The other features

Not to forget ther emains of the mass dials

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines