News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St. Mary the Virgin, Wingham  (Read 996 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bryn Clinch

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 940
  • Appreciation 72
Re: St. Mary the Virgin, Wingham
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 17:45:58 »
A few pics taken today to replace those removed by Photobucket.

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7410
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
St. Mary the Virgin, Wingham
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 18:46:38 »


This church dates from the early 13th century, and was later extended when Archbishop Peckham of Canterbury opened a college for priests locally in 1280.



The tower and porch were added around 1400.



Inside you can find a Norman arch between the south transept and south aisle (and a blocked Norman arch on the west wall of the north transept), the South transept holds the impressive 17th century Oxenden Memorial.



An unusual feature in the church are the timber posts supporting the arcades.



Another reasonably rare feature here are the Misericords, these can be found in the Chancel and are of 14th century origin.  The Misericords are carvings that can be found beneath the seats alongside the walls of the Chancel, these seats were designed to be folded up to allow standing people a ledge to lean against.  The carvings depict floral designs, a horse, other animals and faces including the Green Man.



















There is a 14th century sedilia and piscina in the Chancel also.





There is a beautiful 15th century reredos standing behind the altar, this is a wooden carving depicting two sections showing events from the bible.  This arrived from Troyes in France.




















 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines