News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Mod cave  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
Re: Mod cave
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 12:13:00 »
Missed one: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/39535/lydden_spout_range.pdf

According to http://www.castlekas.freeserve.co.uk/lydden_spout_ds.htm, "One interesting feature of this site [Lydden Spout] was the water supply, which I believe came from the spring at the bottom of the cliffs several hundred feet below. A chamber had been hollowed out of the cliff at the base of the spring and ram pumps installed to pump water up to the cliff top. Ram pumps work by using the energy of the flowing water to raise some of the water higher, and need no other power source or engine."

See also http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12980.0

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 08:44:38 »

Online JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 07:52:36 »
Possibly in the area of The Warren Folkestone.  There are tracks down there with beach on one side and railway line the other.  A very secluded area.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 20:43:11 »
Hi, it was worth a try!  I can't think of anything else along that part of the coast that matches your description unfortunately.

Offline medwayboy10

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 15:25:27 »
Thanks Kyn nice historical reading but doesn't mention anything about what I saw, being it the back of a covered lorry I didn't see/note exactly where we were, I know we crossed the railway track twice, one to get onto the road/track and again when entering the compound, the concrete structure was below ground level (As most armouries/Ammo dumps were), I don`t remember seeing any other structures or even Dover itself.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 22:26:21 »
It may be worth having a look at this thread at post number 5:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1538.msg38410#msg38410

Offline medwayboy10

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 20:46:01 »
It was definitely the main railway line, on one side was the beach then our road/track, we then crossed over the line to the wires enclosure, as far as I can remember it was between Folkestone and Dover.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 19:48:44 »
Also was it along the coast, up on the cliffs?  Do you know which side of Dover?

There were many tracks around due to the movement of coal and other industrial/military reasons so a rough idea of the area and ground layout would be useful.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 19:44:45 »
Was it a railway for standard trains or could it have been tracks for ammunition trucks on a gun site?

Offline medwayboy10

• Appreciation 1
Mod cave
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 13:22:33 »
Hi,
I remember back in the 1960s being in the back of a military 3 tonner, we went from Folkestone towards Dover then down a small road/track and over the railway line, along the road/track and back over the line to what looked like a cave with a low brick built building in a secure compound, it was an armoury and we picked up boxes of new SLR rifles for my regiment Q.O. Buffs.
I have looked on maps of the coast and rail line and can find no evidence of a building or cave, can anyone confirm that it existed?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines