News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Bomb Damage in Chatham  (Read 2594 times)

Offline medwayboy10

• Appreciation 1
Re: Bomb Damage in Chatham
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 20:27:13 »
It looks as if it may have been a stick of at least three bombs that were dropped as the three sites are almost in a straight line.... Constitution road, Cobden road and Listmas road.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 19:13:08 »
These screen grabs show the bomb sites in Cobden road

and the rather more extensive damage in Waghorn street

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 17:53:46 »
Hopefully no one was killed as I can`t find any reference to civilian deaths from Cobden Road, Chatham.
Unfortunately Charles and Mary Ellender (husband and wife ) died at 33 Listmas Road, on the 4/03/1943.
Source CWGC.

Offline medwayboy10

• Appreciation 1
Bomb Damage in Chatham
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:25:42 »
Does anyone have any information of the bomb damage in Cobden road where three houses were demolished. We used the bomb site for one of our playgrounds as well as for our Guy Fawkes bonfire night,
My mother told me a story of that night when the ARP wardens were knocking on the doors telling people to stay in the front of the house as there was 'an unexploded bomb and it was on the move and pointed in our direction'...?
Was the corner of Waghorn Street and Listmas Road also a bomb site?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines