News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Lawrence, Bapchild  (Read 6824 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
Re: St Lawrence, Bapchild
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 19:52:49 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 19:32:36 »
Yet again, I couldn`t get into St. Laurence. In recent years the Priest in charge has changed. It is now the Rev`d George Rogers who I have met on numerous occasions, and I am sure he would allow access but, unfortunately, he is also Vicar of Holy Trinity, Milton Regis and lives in Vicarage Road, Milton -  approx. 2-3 miles from Bapchild.
An interesting feature is the holes in the tower which, a former incumbent assured me, was the work of woodpeckers. Although I didn`t notice it at the time, in photo 4 it looks as if a woodpecker is about to attack the tower again.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 19:26:06 »
Arthur Mee’s
Kent (1954)

The surprise hid in the pillar.

Bapchild.  It is on the road to Canterbury, a convenient place for a great Council of Kent 1200 years ago, and something of its church has stood eight centuries.  Its chancel and spire are 13th century, and the oak roof of the sanctuary is 14th.  About the same time the tiles were set in the north arcade.

A curious and unusual trifle draws the eye as we enter.  Behind a pane of glass is something older than all churches, something that, if it could speak, would tell of Nature red in tooth and claw.  It is a mammoth tooth, a relic of the days when gigantic creatures roamed these islands.  It was found by the builders of this church 800 years ago, and they set it in one of the pillars, from which it has now been taken.  Very beautiful are some of the pillars and arches.  The 12th-century lady chapel has two fine arches with capitals carved with palm fronds, roses, and lilies; one of them has 50 leaves most exquisitely carved.

There is a beautiful double niche between the chancel and the lady chapel, a few good bench-ends, and an old screen.  There are four or five fragments of painting on the walls.  One is a 600-year-old Crucifixion over the altar, a beautiful thing fading away.  But by far the best bit of colour in Bapchild is in the tiny west window, one of the smallest lancets we know – a few inches wife, set in splayed walls three feet deep.

Bapchild keeps us lingering in its porch, for where is a porch quite like this?  For 400 years it has been a dainty little place.

stluke

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 15:17:25 »
We would have our place open more often (even though, being in a quiet residential area, there's little passing trade!) if the parish priest was able to use the Vicarage......which is at present, rented out by the Diocese to a private tenant (and not a penny piece of the rent so acquired comes to us, by the way).

It's interesting to reflect that some ecclesiastical insurance firms prefer churches to be kept open during the day - the risk of vandalism etc. is apparently less.  Clergy and Churchwardens, please note!  It makes sense, obviously, for vestries, sacristies, offices etc. to be kept locked, though......

I am firmly of the view that the more churches are kept open for their primary purpose - prayer - the better!

Stluke.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 00:14:04 »
The sheer unwillingness of some clergy to open up the church for which they are responsible (and it's the church of the parish, not the priest's private property) is just breathtaking.

I really do wonder what the priest would have said or done if you'd said you needed some sacred space in which to pray........

The church I have the honour to serve is open every day, admittedly on weekdays only for an hour or so in the mornings, but if anyone comes in and wants to pray, light a candle, look around, or just sit quietly, then one of us will jolly well stay there for them......

After all, it's what churches are actually for.

Stluke.

Unfortunately for church, history and architectural buffs and photographers like me your view is getting less well represented among the clergy. Its a rant I could keep up for ages and have done before so won't harp on here :-)

stluke

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 13:47:16 »
The sheer unwillingness of some clergy to open up the church for which they are responsible (and it's the church of the parish, not the priest's private property) is just breathtaking.

I really do wonder what the priest would have said or done if you'd said you needed some sacred space in which to pray........

The church I have the honour to serve is open every day, admittedly on weekdays only for an hour or so in the mornings, but if anyone comes in and wants to pray, light a candle, look around, or just sit quietly, then one of us will jolly well stay there for them......

After all, it's what churches are actually for.

Stluke.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 21:38:15 »
PM you another address to try.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
St Lawrence, Bapchild
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 18:37:42 »
A  sign inside gives three contacts to ask for the key, I chose to ask the Priest-in-Charge.  I knocked on his door, I told him that I would like to look inside and was asked why.  I said I wanted to take some pictures and he said that the church is shut...
So, if I had given a different answer I wonder if I would have been allowed inside...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines