News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Military Concrete  (Read 1528 times)

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
Re: Military Concrete
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 11:33:16 »
Thank you conan, fascinating stuff!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 23:58:04 »
This link doesn't really answer the question but makes interesting reading about WW2 construction administration

http://www.arcom.ac.uk/-docs/proceedings/ar2009-0847-0856_Potts.pdf
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 20:14:49 »
I suspect it was because the materials to hand were used, if the structure was coastal, beach shingle was used if inland, quarried material. Concrete technology these days has turned into a specific science related to weights of the constituents depending on how the individual elements perform strengthwise, weighed precisely by automatic systems compared to that used at the time of WWII where mixes designed by volumes using wire dragged hand controlled measuring rather than weight, with its associated possibly over/under measures.

Their is also the safety factors in the design, I suspect it was really belt and braces then, if in doubt over design, I can remember being involved in a Greater London Council housing development in the 1970's/1980's where the design safety factor was X 2 what was needed even then.

Depending on what was being built aggregate sizes can be different as well. There is also the factor of if the structure was reinforced or not.

This is just my thoughts and suppositions, I am sure there are some engineer guys on here who will be able to give chapter and verse.

I hope this helps.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
Military Concrete
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 19:32:54 »
One can usually look at a concrete road, path, foundation, hard standing or building and tell if it was laid during WW2 because the concrete is so coarse. The gravel in it is sometimes very large in relation to that used today. Was this to save money, save cement powder, because it didn't have to last too long (75 year later it's still there!) or something else? Does anyone know please?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines