News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cliftonville lights  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 8
Re: Cliftonville lights
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 16:09:19 »
Yes, that's the way B&Bs were once and whilst some could be a bit `iffy` they might well be better than the homes the holidaymakers came from! The market gradually became subject to controls and by the `60s there was the move towards self-catering flatlets.

Cliftonville did have an extraordinary amount of hotels scattered in these streets, many not much more than several B&Bs knocked into one and if big enough to take a coach party the problems with accessing them as more and more arrived with cars caused serious problems on changeover days.

Another facet of old time holiday-making, particularly from London, was the wife decamping with the children for two or three weeks and the husband then joining her after work on the Friday or even Saturday for a short weekend before heading home on the Sunday evening or even first train Monday morning.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 14:31:45 »
Most WERE " ordinary" houses the rest of the year & the husbands had a full time job. During the Summer- & we HAD those in the days. I remember, just before WW2, they made a bit of extra cash taking in "guests". Clifftonville was our favourite seaside town, always visiting Dreamland on the way when walking from Margate station, as it was quieter than Margate & had a nice, clean, sandy beach. We stayed once, 1936 or '37, but I'll always remember we had fleas in the bed when we got home! We'd never had them before so didn't go again! No fancy street lights then so, as suggested, maybe late 40's early 50's they started, although they wouldn't have been easy to come by except maybe  "army surplus".

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 13:52:05 »
Thanks for that Mickleburgh, I thought it was just a street of ordinary houses,didn't realise they were B`n`Bs.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 08:17:38 »
The proprietors of the hotels and b&bs (virtually every building in the old days) in each of the roads that ran from Northdown Road down to the Eastern Esplanade organised this lighting and endeavoured to out do their rivals in other streets. There may have been judging and a cup awarded, not sure about that. They were mainly lit at the tail end of the season as the evenings drew in and as an added attraction to the clientele. Tradition probably started in the late `40s as a relief from wartime gloom and was certainly still prevalent in the mid-`60s.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Cliftonville lights
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 19:42:16 »
Found this amongst a few old postcards.I was wondering why what appears to be a residential street was so illuminated.I have no real idea of the date but would guess the 60s.

The same view today,the shop on the left is still there but the building on the right seems to be modern

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines