News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Address - Hythe, Kent  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
Re: Address - Hythe, Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 16:43:05 »
Mike

Zoom in on this link  http://maps.nls.uk/view/102343657

Find the eastern end of Military Road, go north and you'll see Elm Terrace.  Above that is marked Hillside Ho.  Hillside Street itself, which is indeed the road above Elm Terrace, is not marked.  The present flats, Elm House, are to the south-eastern corner of the footpath, locally known as a snicket (there are many in this area) but you'll see from the old map that there is a large house on the same plot fronting Hillside Street, thus satisfying your requirement for a house in Hillside Street.  Sadly they are two modern buildings on the site of Lukin's House, if indeed that is the location.

Hope this helps

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
    • The Upchurch Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 21:14:17 »
Hello:

Thank you for your reply.  The Elm House you have is too modern, I think. He lived in Hillside Street, Hythe near the church.  Trying to get extra details.

regards

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 19:19:44 »
There's this

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5362.0

and according to google it's here.I have looked on street view and can't make my mind which it is,I'll leave that to you.There is also the thought that the original property might no longer  exist

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
    • The Upchurch Collection
Address - Hythe, Kent
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 15:48:09 »

Dear All:

Does anyone know where in Hythe ( Kent ) Lionel Lukin 1742-1834  inventor of the lifeboat lived?   I have Elm House, Hythe.

Thank you

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines