News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: figure head rodney 1884  (Read 1971 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: figure head rodney 1884
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 14:02:37 »
There's some information here

http://figureheads.ukmcs.org.uk/?p=2557

regarding the missing hand see reply 17 here

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17342.15
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
Re: figure head rodney 1884
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 13:59:48 »
Yes, the figurehead is a representation of George Brydges Rodney. At the end of the American War of Independence, he was the most famous officer in the Royal Navy. This was on account of his victory over the French under the Compte de Grasse at the Battle of the Saintes on 12th April, 1782. This victory was the most celebrated naval victory of that war, only seven months before, the British had lost the war in North America and it prevented the French from driving the British from their Caribbean possessions too. After that battle, Rodney was widely feted and was richly rewarded by a grateful nation. Never a particularly healthy man, Rodney was outlived by many of his contemporaries and the likes of the Hood brothers, Sir John Jervis and Lord Howe went on to further distinguish themselves in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.

I would guess that the figurehead itself was damaged in storage but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will correct that if it`s not true.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Dockyardguy

figure head rodney 1884
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:11 »
Good morning all!  Could you please help me with some questions regrading the figure head.

First of all, was he named after Admiral George Rodney who died in 1792?

Also, could you please tell me how he lost his hand and how he got damaged?. If anyone could answer these questions and tell me where they found the sources I'd be most grateful.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines