News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tonsil. Royal Navy Anti-V1 Rocket Battery  (Read 7124 times)

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
    • Extended Defence of Britain Overlay for Google Earth
Re: Tonsil. Royal Navy Anti-V1 Rocket Battery
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:26:11 »
I too hadn't heard of this project but these look like standard UP launchers used by the Z batteries, just mounted on a truck?
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
Re: Tonsil. Royal Navy Anti-V1 Rocket Battery
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 00:08:09 »
I'd never heard of these before and I do wonder what happened when they ran out of propellant and plummeted back to earth?.Were they the same design as used in the Sicily and Normandy landings as seen below?

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/88025932049/ordnance-of-the-week-landing-craft-tank-rocket
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 237
Tonsil. Royal Navy Anti-V1 Rocket Battery
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 22:57:53 »
Three photos from the Imperial War Museums collection.

Tonsil, the Royal Navy's experimental anti-flying bomb rocket battery. Tonsil was a rush job, the projectors were mounted on lorries in two days and the complete battery of ten projectors was ready for action in a position between Hythe and Dymchurch within four days of the order being given, on 15 July 1944. On 20 July it scored its first "kill". By the end of the month it had shot down 8 flying bombs. In August the battery was enlarged to 20 projectors, capable of firing 400 rockets at once, and was particularly valuable in conditions of poor visibility.

IWM (A 31037) "Tonsil" mounted on a lorry. The rocket battery was assembled and transported to its position on the South Coast within four days of being ordered.

IWM (A 31034) The rocket battery firing.

IWM (A 31038) A "Tonsil" pattern explodes.

See also the interview with Louis Albert West in the above link. In 1944 he was involved in Operation Tonsil. Reel six from 11.30.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines