News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Holy Trinity School  (Read 697 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Holy Trinity School
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 13:49:26 »
CDP. I started school at Woodlands Road, Gillingham in 1935 and the ethos then, and I think in all infants schools, was the same - all children will be able to read and write by the time they leave and know basic arithmatic. That was so for many, many years until the " do gooders" came up with the idea that this wasn't so important as the children being happy. No thought about the future when they would definitely be unhappy because they couldn't do the same as their peers. The same applied with " winning" making the non winner feeling inferior. Like you, it never bothered me - nice to do so but taking part was the enjoyment.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Holy Trinity School
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 15:38:41 »
I started at the Holy Trinity School circa 1933, and then later onto the Broadway School.
The Headmistress, Mrs. Davies (her daughter married Brian Sinclair) often said,with feeling, "Every child in my school will be able to read and write when they leave" and, as far as I could remember, that was the case !!!.
I remember that she would bring into the classroom skeins of her knitting wool, share them among the boys and girls in the room and I think the winner received a whole penny, and we all thought that we were all winners !!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline Derek45

• Appreciation 0
Holy Trinity School
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 16:16:50 »
Hello all!
I have a School photograph taken in 1949 at Holy Trinity Infants School. Can any one put names to any of the pupils? I am in the middle row second from the right.
               Derek Ash

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines