News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Bean Bus  (Read 2214 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
Re: Old Bean Bus
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 17:59:42 »
Thanks once again to all, Victoria Street / Railway Street Gillingham it is, not Chatham. I will pass that on.
Just for interest, I have unearthed a bit more info on the bus.
KO 9975 was built in 1928, a Bean 30cwt with a 20 seat body. It was owned by J. Croucher of Cliffe (formerly of Upper Upnor) who was a member of The Medway Bus Owners Association. M&D took over the routes and the vehicles of the Association in July 1931. It seems though that the majority of these vehicles were never actually used by M&D, including "Ye Olde Bean". Therefore when photographed it was still owned by J. Croucher and must have been taken between 1928 - 1931.
Thanks to all again, KHF strikes again!

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 16:59:21 »
aw shucks! I just got lucky!  :)

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 10:57:01 »
Well I'm seriously impressed with Stewie!  If you view the Whitehousefarm image in Internet Explorer at 300x and have GSV of Victoria St open at the same time, it's an amazing fit!  The following screen-dump via Paint may not do the comparison justice, but just take a look at the edge of the shopfront next to the chemist and also the gap between the two shops.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 21:12:02 »
Better quality version at www.whitehousefarm.eclipse.co.uk/oldhoo/upnor.htm
I'd guess it was taken through a window.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 20:56:09 »
Thankyou all for your thoughts.
The bus was new in 1928 and sold to M&D in 1931 who sold it on in 1932. So given there doesn't appear to be any M&D scrolls visible, it may not be bound for the M&D depot. Perhaps Old Bean is turning at the station to go back to Chatham?
I like the idea of Victoria St. / Station St. junction. I believe that around this time, there was a power station close to Gillingham level crossing, could this be the chimney which is just visible in the background? Google Earth suggests the shop, now a chemist?, is very similar.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 20:51:14 »
I believe Stewie is correct. Junction of Victoria Street & Railway Street, Gillingham. (From Googlemaps)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 19:49:30 »
Wall is typical " railway" type but the background rises quite a lot & Gillingham doesn't in that area. I wonder whether it's the wall by Chatham station on Railway Street going down towards the Town Hall. Bus is on Albany Ordnance- a logical terminus- & the background rises. Don't like that high chimney though; it's where the Naval Hospital is but that had the chimney within the Clock/Water tower.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 19:23:16 »
It certainly looks like the junction of Railway Street and Victoria Street. Possibly on its way from Chatham to the depot at Gillingham?
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 17:39:45 »
Initial thought was that the wall in the background appears to be going down a slope similar to the north boundary wall at Gillingham Railway station  as viewed from Victoria Street, but this does not put it in Chatham.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 16:16:25 »
The photo came to me as a Word document and I could not find a way to convert it to JPG. But I have printed then scanned it now as attached. Quality not good but better than nothing? The destination on the original shows Chatham and it is said to have operated between Upnor and Chatham for a fare of 2d!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 16:15:15 »
I couldn't get the pic either .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 15:24:59 »
I have been asked if I can identify the location of this photo. It dates from C1930 and is said to be in Chatham. Any ideas anyone?

Is there anyway you can attach a photo as I cant download it ,thank you .
***I am still the child within***

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
Old Bean Bus
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:54:49 »
I have been asked if I can identify the location of this photo. It dates from C1930 and is said to be in Chatham. Any ideas anyone?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines