Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roman Paving Found in Rochester Shop Basement  (Read 617 times)

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 8
Re: Roman Paving Found in Rochester Shop Basement
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 19:33:01 »
Davpott is completely right, all the sections of Roman roads exposed through archaeological work throughout Kent are made of the local available material. Mostly compacted gravels, these are either flint gravels or Ragstone depending on where in the county the length of road runs through. To see sections of roads made of cut blocks you have to head out of the southeast and into the limestone parts. Is this just a piece of misinterpretation of something in a cellar that was poorly understood/excavated/recorded and turned into a nice piece of publicity by ill informed media for the owners? Let's see if the original excavator/archaeologist does appear and justify the claim?

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:02:31 »
It looks much like my patio paving!  :)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 95
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:03:57 »
Tongue in Cheek :)
           Reckon it could have been a DIY Roman pandering to his Miss'us by laying her a trendy new Kitchen floor, so she was one up on the neighbours.☺☺

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 21:34:09 »
I missed this post and the original printed report (I was probably still recovering from the Faversham Hop Festival weekend).

However I did come across the report some months ago and looked at the article.

The first thing that struck me was that it was unlike any section of exposed Roman road I have ever seen. Attempting to delve deeper into the report turned up no supporting evidence nor indeed any more details on the find. I then forgot about it....

A few days ago the latest edition of Kent Archaeological Review (no 203 Spring 2017) dropped through the letter box. I finally got around to reading it today and found an article about this section of 'Roman road' by local Rochester/Medway archaeologist Alan Ward.

It is a long article (pp 124-135) so even paraphrasing is not really possible.

The thrust of his argument is the quality of the surface. As I noticed it is unlike any roman road I've ever seen. There are no wheel ruts or hollows from foot traffic. Nor are there any signs the surface has been exposed to 2-3 or more hundreds of years of rainfall and frosts.

The line of the Roman Watling Street  through Rochester is known, as is the ditch each side of it. This section of road is beyond the road and ditch line.

Finally. All of the known roman roads in Rochester were constructed of compacted gravel. As were they all in Canterbury, Dover, Winchester and London.

There being no detailed report of the 'dig', he offers no suggestion of what he thinks this surface may really be. Dressed Roman stone in Kent is extremely rare. It was fairly common after the Norman conquest and into the medieval period. 

It will be interesting to see is the archaeologists who produced the original 'press release' now respond to the serious critical appraisal on the 'find' and respond in the future with more detail.     

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 209
Roman Paving Found in Rochester Shop Basement
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 13:03:16 »
They don't build roads like this any more. At about 2,000 years old, a remarkably pristine section of Roman road with not a pothole or loose paving in sight has been discovered in the centre of Rochester.
 More @ http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/historic-roman-highway-found-under-102181/
All the Lads in Town  Merry Wives of Windsor

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines