News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where Again?  (Read 7033 times)

Offline DGM

• Appreciation 2
Re: Where Again?
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 21:45:16 »
Sentinel S4, the line into the former Margate Sands Station passed under the existing line to the East of the four road bridges in Smiffy's photo, roughly where the lighter area of ground can be seen between the pair of double track lines towards the bottom right hand side of the photo.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 00:17:28 »
I seem to remember that one of the open top buses that ran on the Isle of Sheppey between Sheerness and Leysdown in the 60s was said to have been converted after an accident either with a bridge or a falling tree that took the roof off.I remember catching these open toppers from the bottom of Barton Hill to Leysdown back then as Mum worked in Leysdown Post Office.
  Were summers warmer and drier then? I never remember getting wet, just occasionally getting side swiped by overhanging branches :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 21:28:18 »
If you look at Smiffy's picture you can see four bridges. The two on the left are the original road whilst the two on the right are the former SER Margate Sands rail bridges. The line to Margate Sands was closed and lifted post 1923 when the Southern Railway rationalised the railways of Thanet. The Ramsgate Harbour Station was closed along with the tunnel. Whilst they also opened the new Dumpton Park station and line through to the also new Ramsgate station. I am going to hazard a guess that this is the route proving run for a new double decker route for the East Kent Road Car Co.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline jimawilliams

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 21:13:44 »
Wonderful options for holiday makers who may or may not, depending on the weather, prefer an open top bus.
"Change is the only constant"

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 19:31:56 »
'Why bother with the car?' Well, because the top doesn't come off unexpectedly for one thing!

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 17:27:15 »
Again, thanks to all for your help in finding this location. Margate was never in my thoughts!
Finally, I thought the attached photo may be of interest. It shows a London Transport RT which got it wrong at this bridge. The RT would have been about the same height as our DH8.
Photo reproduced by permission of the photographer and is dated 13 Aug. 1967.

Offline jimawilliams

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 22:11:24 »
Great effort DGM, congratulations.

View from Eastern end of Fulsam Place (Google Maps), with railings bending around to the left as in the origional.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@51.3847863,1.3734667,3a,46.4y,63h,90.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEtfO7AfUJ--lGscgtaaAMA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"Change is the only constant"

Offline DGM

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 20:41:31 »
Mikeb you have the wrong bridge, it is the left hand one in Smiffy's latest post.  With regard to the original photo, I think that it is only the angle of the photo that makes it look as though clearance between the bus and bridge is very tight, in reality the bus appears to have passed beneath both spans unscathed.  For whatever reason, the Southern Rly constructed the bridge with improved clearances (sunken roadway), simply to reach the South side of Margate Stn, which could already be reached from All Saints Avenue.  I wonder why they went to the expense of building all this, only for it all to be eventually abandoned, was it part of a grand road scheme that came to nought ?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 19:41:31 »
Well done all, the members of this forum never cease to amaze me :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 16:50:27 »
Well done, DGM. I had a look at a Margate map but missed it!

A google Earth view for further clarification. I'm inclined to believe it's the bridge on the left.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 16:33:02 »
Excellent DGM. I had assumed the locality of the bridges would have been in the operating area of DH8. Just goes to show!
Just one niggle to clarify - GE today shows a height warning on the bridge of 12'-9''. DH8 would have been 14'6'' or thereabouts and the photo gives the impression it has passed under the two spans. In the original photo the road is considerably below pavement level. Do we know if the road level has been raised over time, perhaps to prevent flooding under the bridge?

I wonder if the bus had indeed been on a hire to Margate hence the "Private" and the assembled onlookers were checking it's passage through the arch. The clearance seems to be very tight, if indeed perhaps it had actually come into contact.

Thanks again to all.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 12:44:55 »
Well, very well done!

One last BfA extract showing the curved, raised pavement and railings, this time nearest the camera - ie. behind the bus, plus another version of MikeB's original: https://www.flickr.com/photos/134227013@N08/22409061726/in/photolist-A9dikd

Offline DGM

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 12:41:10 »
Nemo, it was a slow process of elimination, there are only a few parallel girder bridges on the South Eastern Division of BR and even fewer where one might possibly find an M&D bus. I originally looked at, and eliminated, the bridges across All Saints Avenue, it was only on the second look at an old map that I saw the disused spans closer to the station and it all fell into place.  The first photo appended to your latest reply has convinced me that this is the correct location, the white building seen in the original photo is the white painted end of what became the lavatory block (?) in the Corporation Car Park (seen in your first and second photos, whilst the former cinema beside the remains of the old station can also be seen in the original photo.  As to why an M&D bus was in Margate, maybe it had just operated a private trip to the seaside, hence 'Private' on the destination blind and rather than being on an official clearance trial perhaps the caption was meant to be humorous and the crew are simply enjoying their break.  Note the bus is parked on the wrong side of the (private?) road so perhaps M&D had an arrangement to park in the Station Yard.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 11:01:00 »
I'm astounded and convinced by DGM - how on earth did you come up with that?!

Couple of extracts from Britain from Above...  I really like the white 'house' with the slabby structure behind/around.  And in the very last shot below, I fancy I can make out the street light.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 10:34:13 »
jimawilliams, the registration was GKL 766.

DGM, thanks for your interesting suggestion. I haven't had a chance to check that out properly, I don't know the area very well at all! Can anyone from Margate tell us if the bridges you mention are, or were, on a bus route? My initial thought is that in bus terms Margate is a long way from DH8 normal stomping grounds. If the height question had come up, an enquiry to East Kent Car Coy. would have been made I'd have thought. They were the Margate experts.
What does puzzle me from the original is if the bridge height was a concern, why send a high bus and not a low bridge? M&D had plenty of each at the time. I don't think it is not on a normal bus route.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines