News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chipstead Lake Sunken Loco Legend.  (Read 2172 times)

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Re: Chipstead Lake Sunken Loco Legend.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 17:44:32 »
The person who originally told me the story in 1957/8 was a boy whose surname was (I believe) Hoskins and I am pretty sure he went to Sevenoaks School in September 1958; I also recall that he played the piano.  If any readers are still in touch with him, would they please share John Arkell's reply with him?

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 17:03:11 »
I have just been able to read this because the Library computers have hitherto barred access to Kent History Forum.

I wonder if there is a misprint in Mr. Arkell's reply as I think he probably meant a Cudworth standard goods engine rather than a Crampton.  The Wilipedia entries for Crampton and Cudworth locomotives would seem to bear this out.

It is interesting that the brickworks is described as Crampton's brickworks.  It is amazing how many industries had a Crampton connection: railways, gas and water supplies, and now apparently brickmaking.  As this works was on part of the Newington Vestry site, I assume that the Vestry expanded on to the brickworks site when the brickworks closed down (not to be confused with Sevenoaks Brick Works on the other side of the railway).

See www.cramptonlocomotivetrust.org.uk for the project to build a working reproduction Crampton locomotive.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 20:14:31 »
As I said, a myth.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline John Arkell

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 17:37:14 »
The locomotive referred to in the letter from John Humphrey is not in Chipstead lake. The story as recounted is one of those urban myths though has some basis locally according to ‘The History of South Eastern Railway Locomotives by D. L. Bradley. Locomotive no 98, a Crampton standard goods engine, failed at Redhill on 28th October 1900 and was towed to Ashford works where it was decided not worth repairing for service but was converted to use as a stationary boiler and sold to Cramptons brickworks near Otford Junction. It supplied steam for a crane and a brick drying shed. The boiler had further repairs at Ashford works in 1908 and returned to service at the brickworks until 1913 when it was left in a disused clay pit until sold for scrap during the 1916 metal salvage campaign during WW1.

John Arkell
Tunbridge Wells
Membership secretary, South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 19:10:26 »
For the SER to lose a loco in the manner suggested, ie off the branch line, it would have made the news big time. There would have been severe loss of life, an inquiry and prosecutions. This is a Myth, show me a lake with a rail connection and I will give you a Myth surrounding a lost loco...

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Online grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 22:19:36 »
S4, the rumour seems to suggest the loco would have been running on the Westerham Branch line in the vicinity of Chipstead Halt and Chevening Halt. Not working in the gravel pit itself.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 19:26:05 »
When were these pits worked..? A quick look at old maps suggests from between the wars, so long after the Cudworth locos had disappeared. Another myth methinks... :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 18:57:09 »
Not a hope of a Cudworth being down there. The SER did not sell on any of their locos into industrial use. The only escapees that I know of are the two that powered the Franklin Expedition, and there are doubts over the heritage of those. Checking out Bradley tells me that virtually all Cudworth era locos were broken up at Ashford.

If there were a Cudworth down there, then she would have been raised a long time ago. The historical value alone would have been worth it. If there is a loco in that pit then it is probably a Simplex or other internal combustion machine. I have severe doubts on a steam loco being there.

S4.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 17:10:15 »
Expect that the fire may have gone out by now?  :)

Online grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Chipstead Lake Sunken Loco Legend.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 16:47:45 »
             The "rumour/legend" surfaced again in this week`s "Kent on Sunday" free paper in a letter. 
              It mentions the old gravel quarry which is now Chipstead Lake, nr. Sevenoaks.
              Allegedly there is an old Cudworth Loco, circa 1860, from the South Eastern Railway at the bottom of the lake.
              Welcome comments from S4 and the other loco and Railway Buffs on the forum.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines