News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Canterbury postcards  (Read 3965 times)

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 10
Re: Old Canterbury postcards
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 08:09:51 »
Interesting point here with any image, not just postcards, but any photo. When would an image change from being contemporary to historically interesting by illustrating change?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 23:55:08 »
I agree with you CAT, around here a chap called Harry Savory took his plate cameras underground into Goughs cave at Cheddar pre 1st world war and Goughs were still selling the resultant images as postcards in the 60s
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 23:11:06 »
Worth bearing in mind that photographic studios would keep reprinting images of popular historic scenes for many years after the photos were taken. Some views of places, not just Canterbury, we're taken in the late nineteenth-century,  but still republished as postcards some fourty-fithty years later.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 22:09:21 »
The Black prince tomb postcard Googles as 1930`s.Judging by the numbers they are all the same series so assume other two are as well.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 13:34:05 »
I'm sorry Smiler but I have no idea of their age. I would assume that my parents purchased them some time in the 60s as they were in a tin with quite a few other other postcards relating to family holidays at the time, but when the actual photos were taken, sorry, I haven`t a clue.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:32:31 »
Great detail, any idea how old they are conan?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Old Canterbury postcards
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 20:17:00 »
Whilst going through a box of bits I found these three postcards in absolutely perfect condition.

Published by the Photochrome Co. Ltd. Graphic Studios, Tunbridge Wells.

Sorry about the white surrounds I can't seem to make the cropping thingy on the computer to work :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines