News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What are the chances of this?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: What are the chances of this?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 14:46:19 »
Whilst talking about Subaru, I believe their flat four was a direct development (copy?) of the Jowett (Javelin & Jupiter) engine.

Online grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 14:41:03 »
Toyota is the Vehicle arm of the "TOYODA LOOM" Company of Japan.

Online Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 12:10:03 »
I thought that Daihatsu was an `arm` of Toyota?
Daihatsu is on of the worlds largest engineering companies with interests in things as diverse as shipbuilding and aerospace. Toyota markets luxury cars under the Lexus brand.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 09:41:09 »
I thought that Daihatsu was an `arm` of Toyota?

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 08:33:09 »
Toyota was on the British market around 1967 and followed soon thereafter by Honda. The remaining Japanese makes, Datsun, Daihatsu, etc, drifted in over the following years. UK was a logical market place since, like us, Japan drives on the left. However, there remained a degree of resistance at first due to raw memories of the war. I believe that there was an earlier attempt, early 1950s, to import a Japanese make (Daihatsu?) but which totally failed for these reasons. I did see one of these in Herne Bay at the time, a rather pre-war American looking thing.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 09:13:11 »
Subaru in the UK around 72! That is the year I first left before returning in 1977 for 2 years. I really can't remember there being anything but British and European  cars on the road then but obviously there were.
My son has had a couple of WRX Sti and when he was away working (here in Oz) I used to love baiting the local thick heads in their Oz built V8 utes/sedans. Boy could those little 4 cylinder motors fly and they stuck like poo to a blanket on corners. He told me of a race with a Porsche he won when the other driver backed off at well over 200kph..... I didn't tell him of my own adventures.  :)
Needless to say if the local cops had caught us we would both have been walking for a long time. :-)))
AlanH.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 15:45:21 »

I remember a Land Crab somersaulting over that bank so was probably the same event. 

That bit of bank was the most exciting part of the circuit for spectators but probably not liked as much by the drivers.

Great days :)

KeithJG

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 14:23:31 »
Talking of Lydden  circuit I used to marshall there in the '60's....waving flags, etc.

A chap called Geoff Mabbs had a Land crab 1800 and he hit a large bank after coming down the hill from the 180 degree corner. The crash was so catastrophic the bank was called Mabbs Bank.

This bank was always a danger on this fast corner and now I believe has been demolished.

At my Sittingbourne shopfitting  job one of my apprentices I looked after in the '70's .... his girlfriend  was the daughter of Bill Chesson, the then owner of Lydden  Circuit. ......I always had free tickets to venues.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 11:43:33 »
I remember a few guys using these in the very early days of RallyCross at Lydden.  They did quite well but the Mini ruled the day then.  No comparison with today's Hi-Tech RallyCross cars.

Online grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 11:26:17 »
Subaru arrived in UK arround 1972 ish. There was a small mini type model on sale in Malta circa 1968 called the FFI .caused much amusement among serviceman in whose terminology FFI stood for Free From Infection. :)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 09:39:23 »
Thnx Lyn L. The huge changes in the Towns since I left in the early 70s is amazing. I haven't been back for even a holiday since 1989 so maybe it's about time I did so and met a few people.
Cheers.
Alan.

KeithJG

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 21:40:20 »
I did have before the Maxi a Austin 1800 land crab. ..it was the dark grey one with bench seat in the front .It was a massive car and only a 4 cylinder for 1800cc so it looked a huge engine under the bonnet.

Hence the reason I moved onto this maroon  1750 Maxi with 5 gears and the front seats did recline dead flat and when the rear was flat also it was like a double bed. My friend had the Maxi 1750HL which had twin carbs and better performance.

I drove to Benidorm in it and did sleep a few times with the seats right down.

The transverse gear between the gearbox and engine  was a week point on the Maxi although the same design as the Mini it always leaked oil on the clutch and made a terrible  whine when worn.

Me being a Joiner it was great as a lorry and carried 8ft long x 24inch wide strips of board in it and that was with the back door shut.

Sadly it ended up at the scrap yard  where I only just got there with the clutch slipping......overall a super motor for it's day :)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 19:54:05 »
Bilgerat. I wouldn't be surprised that the maxi had that facility. There were a lot of inovations e.g. the first 5 speed gearbox, the first " hatch back", folding rear seats, &, like the Mini, a wheel at each corner so max. capacity for min.outside dimensions; such a pity Austin didn't make more of it as the original 1500cc was a bit underpowered but the later 1750 very much better.

Online Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 17:44:01 »
Am I right in thinking that the Austin Maxi was the first car with reclining front seats which went all the way back, so much so that you could comfortably lie down on them?
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines