News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What are the chances of this?  (Read 2183 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: What are the chances of this?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:03:30 »
Is the ABC cinema still there? I went there many times (saw the Big Country and Magnificent 7 there) as a "yoof" and over the road to the little pub or maybe to the Horn of Plenty on the New Road.
Referring to the Austin/Morris 1800s, they were great vehicles as taxis as quite a few were on the roads as such back when I was driving in the late 70s. A few Maxis as well. The 1800 particularly had heaps of space and room for those in the back seat was fantastic.....plus they were good in icy/snowy conditions with all the weight being over the front wheels.
I must say I can't remember ever having heard of a Subaru back in those days.
AlanH.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 04:57:30 »
Wasn't this nicknamed the land crab?

No,that was the earlier BMC 1800,but they did share the same doors as the later Maxi....

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 00:01:22 »
Wasn't this nicknamed the land crab?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 15:55:41 »
Ah! The British Leyland `Maxi`, that takes me back. Bit of a tank to drive but one of the first family cars with a five speed box and useful load capacity. As a rep in the late 70s I tried to persuade my employer (a BL dealer) to let me have one in lieu of the standard issue `Marina` but was told they were all but unsaleable used (as if a `Marina` was any better!). That may have been the case in and around London but they were popular in deeper rural areas with small farmers, etc,, if they could not afford a Subaru.

KeithJG

What are the chances of this?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 13:33:19 »
I was sifting through some Facebook images just to see what they had copied from KHF and stumbled on this old photo in 1979 of the ABC in Chatham.

I looked at the Maxi motor in the photo and it was me driving it!!

I owned that Maxi in 1979 and as I know the Reg. number I can read it although not that clear. DOH 899K

When you compare it with the only picture I have of the car you can see the number is the same and the GB plate stuck on the inside of the rear window.

I lived in Rainham at the time and must of been on my way to Frindsbury where my parents lived on a visit.

I would always use this route and not the New Road. So what a coincidence. I still cannot believe what I am seeing?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines