News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cobham coalmine  (Read 1406 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: Cobham coalmine
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 23:19:26 »
The final paragraph in the link that I uploaded mentions methane as one reason that the mine was closed :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 15:13:04 »
Cobham mine looks almost "open cast" from the lorry loading. I suspect it gently sloped down to where they are working in the other photos so wouldn't have been very deep-probably no methane? The pit props, altho' substantial, don't look brilliant but if not too much above them, adequate.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 14:51:46 »
Interesting photos, thanks DS 239.  Intriguing that although one man is carrying a safety lamp the rest are using open flame carbide lamps. Photo must have been taken before the miners encountered the methane.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:55:11 »
Was the lake there before the mine or is it a result of the flooding? All the chalk quarries eventually flooded to a degree.
mmitch.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 02:43:03 »
There was an article about this in the 'Bygone Kent' magazine a long while ago, I might have a copy of it somewhere...,meanwhile a quick browse of the 'net found this: http://www.kentphotoarchive.com/kpa/warpeace/thumblarge.php?keywordname=COBHAM&selection=2&category_id=0&startnumber=5&pagenumber=1
Click through 'next image' for some underground photo's.. :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Cobham coalmine
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 19:57:37 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines