News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ruined Chapel, Grange Road, Gillingham  (Read 7429 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: Ruined Chapel, Grange Road, Gillingham
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 00:12:53 »
Is it true that The Grange is the site of a Norman Motte and Bailey castle, which fell into disuse when Rochester Castle was completed?

According to this site the original castle was at Boley hill

http://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=1798
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 22:12:15 »
Is it true that The Grange is the site of a Norman Motte and Bailey castle, which fell into disuse when Rochester Castle was completed?
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 14:14:06 »
As mentioned in an early post the chapel which stands on the right hand side of the Grange House was built by Sir John Phillpott. He was an Alderman and some time Mayor of the City of London. He was also a member of the Grocers Company. He was knighted for services to the Crown having helped put down the Wat Tyler Rebellion in Richard ll reign. The chapel was built after then. By 1798 the "chapel was long desecrated and used as a barn and .......the east end was in a ruinous state and taken down. It was built of stone and in time given a thatched roof, The stonework round the great window is covered entirely with coats of arms being his augmentation ....." He was buried near the choir in Greyfriars London - now a shell

I found this in The History & Topographical Survey of the County of Kent (10 volumes) by Edward Hasted 1798 - available on line to read - a very interesting and helpful site for all things Kentish up to 1798.

I am sure I was told that the building nearer the road had been used as a jail. Although the house has a Georgian appearance, it is very old.

It was the home for many years (during the war and after) of Dr Taunton - our family doctor who was also a surgeon at St Barts Hospital, Chatham - the oldest in the country.

merc

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 17:51:41 »
These are the other ruins, which are near the road (not the chapel).

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 23:04:40 »
This is what is on pastscape:

House, now retirement home. Mid to late 17th century building, extended to the left and rear in the late 19th century. Single-depth plan with late 19th century cross range to the left and 19th century extensions to the rear. The house is two storeyed and brick-built. Within the grounds are the ruins of a chapel built in 1378 by Sir John Philpott, along with the remains of a two storey stone building of similar date. The chapel is built of limestone rubble and flint with limestone dressings. It is a single storey, three-bay range now roofless and without the east end.

I walked past this building many times as a kid and was pretty fascinated with it.   :)

merc

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 22:51:53 »
Its on the grounds of the old peoples home called Grenge Manor, opposite Short Road   :)  They have 2 ruins either side of the drive i think, not sure which one is the chapel though.
I've just read the ruin nearer the road in a less ruinous state, is possibly an old barn.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 08:55:44 »
Its on the grounds of the old peoples home called Grenge Manor, opposite Short Road   :)  They have 2 ruins either side of the drive i think, not sure which one is the chapel though.

merc

Ruined Chapel, Grange Road, Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 23:38:30 »
Just out of interest...do you know where the ruins of the old Chapel are around Grange road?
Is it on public or private land?

I've been meaning to look at it for a while.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines