News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Murad International Limited - West Minster - Sheerness  (Read 693 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Murad International Limited - West Minster - Sheerness
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 17:22:28 »
Mr Wadia Halim Murad was born in Jamaica (I believe his family was originally from Lebanon) and studied electrical engineering at Manchester University.
Prior to the Second World War he opened his first factory at Watford, the company specializing in machine tools, particularly lathes. In 1946 he moved the firm to Aylesbury, Bucks.

Towards the end of the war the firm had started work on the development of a saloon car with everything, including the engine, built in house. Two prototypes were planned, but in the end only one was built. The project, which had nearly bankrupted the company, was then shelved.

Prompted by government encouragement and the promise of suitable compensation, which never arrived, the firm, now called 'Murad International Limited,' moved to West Minster, Sheerness, date unknown (1957?). With little demand for new lathes the company was forced to turn to mundane objects like desk notebook holders, paper guillotines and adjustable tables. (I think I have one). The company was declared insolvent and closed in 1980.

The single prototype car was registered as KPP 618 in January 1948, and remained registered in Murad's name until 1964, Mr Murad using it as his personal transport. In 1980 or later the car was removed from the West Minster works and in September 2016 was put up for auction. Sans engine and in need of restoration, it sold for $ 1,557.

Links.

The Murad homepage.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/murad/index.html

Photo of the Murad car September 2016. I believe the 'old farm building' was the West Minster works.
http://www.classiccarweekly.net/tag/1948/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines