News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1960 Shopping list enquiry.  (Read 7349 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: 1960 Shopping list enquiry.
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 20:09:50 »
We used to buy faggots, home made, from various butchers, very tasty but I've never had pease pudding. A van used to come round when I lived in Gillingham & sold pease pudding & faggots but we didn't buy; I remember the pease pudding was orangey- split peas/ lentils? In the mid 60's, average salary would have been about 15- 20 a week, so compare with todays to see how food comes out; not much different I expect.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 08:39:53 »
Turn the heat up high to burn that horrid white water away and your bacon will crisp up nicely.... just right for a nice bacon sarny. :-)) My old Mum who passed away aged 90 was a great believer in eating a little bit of what you fancied every now and again and bugger the health food fanatics constant bleating about fat, salt and processed food being bad for you.
Of course if you stuffed your face full of toast with beef dripping every breakfast or had bangers for every meal it may well affect you....  :)
AlanH.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2016, 21:54:33 »
A bit like steak & kidney pudding I suppose - the supermarket variety are nice enough but can in no way be compared to a home made example. I therefore accept that I am yet to truly sample peas pudding & faggots. :)

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 19:38:23 »
Never having eaten pease pudding & faggots I thought I would try some a while back. I can't say that I was that taken with it, but as the pease pudding was from a can and the faggots were frozen it may not have been a fair assessment. :)

That's probably the equivalent of eating a Birds Eye ready meal, and thinking that's what a traditional roast dinner tastes like!

KeithJG

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 18:06:08 »
shoot99, pease pudding and faggots was last night and I really enjoyed it . It`s strange how eating today`s menu I never seem to notice tastes, etc. but I`ve really been enjoying the older menu, seems more tasty and actually, although the portions are less, they are more filling. I may even keep this up although the prices of food is more expensive today compared to what they must have been back then.

I am another one that simply cannot taste todays food especially from Tesco full of preservatives!

The supermarkets mess so much with it just so they make more profit from the sales.

I don`t eat bacon anymore due to the white water in the frying pan and also meat has all the fat cut off absolutely tasteless.

My stepmother ate bread and dripping quite often and we all had home cooked fresh food.....she died at 94 and eating fat did her no harm :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 16:04:48 »
Never having eaten pease pudding & faggots I thought I would try some a while back. I can't say that I was that taken with it, but as the pease pudding was from a can and the faggots were frozen it may not have been a fair assessment. :)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 10:21:34 »
shoot99, pease pudding and faggots was last night and I really enjoyed it . It`s strange how eating today`s menu I never seem to notice tastes, etc. but I`ve really been enjoying the older menu, seems more tasty and actually, although the portions are less, they are more filling. I may even keep this up although the prices of food is more expensive today compared to what they must have been back then.
***I am still the child within***

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 17:44:08 »
Day one of the first lot of my 60s food fare and it was brown bread and marmalade for breakfast and lunch was bread and milk, followed tonight by suet pudding and vegetables, I'm quite enjoying this food better than the usual and feel full.

Don' think I ever had brown bread and marmalade; at least not until I became an adult. Although my breakfast would have been white bread and jam; so pretty similar. 

I'd forgotten about suet pudding. Mum used to do it with a 'gravy' meal; so the choice was have it with your 'mains', or with some jam for 'afters'. Special treat would have been to add custard. When I joined the tugs in the mid-60s most of the cooks offered the same suet pudding choice.

One meal I remember was pease pudding and faggots. Not sure how popular that was; but apart from fish and chips, one of the only meals that could now be considered a take-a-way. Think we got ours from somewhere near Troy Town school. It may have been the pub, but not 100% sure.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 15:53:31 »
AlanH. Afraid it's all too easy to get distracted when there's something you can engage with. I didn't live in Kent long enough to know any of the " guess the place"- they would all have changed anyway by now. Rochester bred; sorry, I hang my head in shame.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 09:14:06 »
Can we keep this thread on topic, there are other threads for the places you have named. Thank you!

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 09:05:48 »
Hi DS. I was in Rochester Velo Club Olympic back around 1960..... a wonderful sounding name and we had some good cyclists as members (I wasn't one that would be classified as good though) and mostly they used Chambers. We met at the Borstal village Hall. I believe the club captain whose name escapes me at the moment went on to coach the Canadian Olympic team or some thing.
It may well have been ears old man Woolley was removing hair from, it stank where ever he burnt it anyway! :-((
I've a vague memory of a bloke named Bragg down there in Gillingham, he may well have been around when I started cab driving in about 1967 and used the station as my base.
What this has to do with RBs thing about 60s food escapes me......
AlanH.

PS. Don Sutherland was the blokes name I couldn't remember above. :)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 14:31:17 »
Day one of the first lot of my 60s food fare and it was brown bread and marmalade for breakfast and lunch was bread and milk, followed tonight by suet pudding and vegetables, I'm quite enjoying this food better than the usual and feel full.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 12:49:37 »
AlanH I remember Chambers Cycles, although we mainly went to Elliot Bros. in Canterbury Street, Gillingham as it was nearer.What club were you in? I vaguely remember the Co Op barber in Gillingham High Street had one of those tapers,used for ear hair on older men.They also had a board, a la Signals99, to go across the chair for us " little lads", in the 30's. Anyone remember Billy Braggs, cycle & motorcycle repairer in Livingstone Road, just off L. Circus, Gillingham. His " garage"- more like an overgrown garden shed & opening onto the pavement for all to see & watch- was absolutely full of "stuff" that might, or might not, come in handy! His blue overalls & cap were always plastered in black oil & grease, I wonder if they were ever washed.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 08:26:37 »
My previous post had a bit cut off at the bottom and ended "in 1952 we moved to Maidstone".....no we didn't, we moved to Maidstone Rd., Cookham Wood! :-)) We too got fish and chips from Wraggs and one of the brothers went on to become the manager at Blaw Knox where I did my apprenticeship from 1959 - 1964/5 He put into place many improvements to improve the building of some great machinery.
I remember getting my haircut at Woollies and going in there with Dad when I was small. One of the boys was named Mick and I think he did an apprenticeship over Strood way but I wouldn't swear to that. He didn't do his NS if I remember rightly but did do a bit of boxing and went to the tech. college up at Fort Horsted. Bit of a dandy with hair that his Dad obviously looked after well.
I'm sure old Woolley used to use a smoking taper thing to singe thick nose hair........ YUK!
Sharman's was definitely the name of a bike shop down there and from my fading memory, they and Chambers, down under the railway arches, were the best and dealt with us as club racing cyclists.
AlanH.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 21:49:44 »
Hi Redge, thanks for the name, soon as I laid eyes First class explanation given. Thank you!
shoot 999, I think we should explain the plank, it went across the arms of the barbers` chair in Woolis, us boys had to perch on lt to have our hair cut. Any one recall old man Woolis` son who worked in the shop? He was called up to the RAF for national service ? I had my hair cut by him the day he got his papers . I gather he was somewhat peeved about it.
Shoot 999, thank you for the compliment, unfortunately I suffer from  Menieres disease, a balance disorder among other things. I can remember things from long past but some days I can't remember what I did yesterday, or people's names, very embarrassing at times but,  thanks to you guys, I have a ready pool of memories I can call on. Thanks to all those who have pm`d me, especially Smiffy . Thanks for the encouragement, will keep going as long as I can. Bless you ALL.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines