News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1960 Shopping list enquiry.  (Read 7334 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: 1960 Shopping list enquiry.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 11:33:42 »
In the 50 / 60's we DID have take-aways-------Fish & Chips!
. . . . and Pease Pudding and faggots.

Online mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 11:29:09 »
In the 50 / 60's we DID have take-aways-------Fish & Chips! In Chatham at least there were many very local chippies, in my childhood local area we had two in Henry Street, one in Portland Street and one in Castle Road, all quite small, in many cases converted front rooms of terraced houses. The one in Portland Street had a coal fired range and you could get a bag of crackling for a 1d. and a cold piece of last nights fish for 2d!

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 09:03:28 »
Dripping !!
I remember from late 40s Dripping with bits in it from frying various things.
Dripping on toast was fantastic. Still is (but now an occasional treat) !!

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 08:47:10 »
Hi Longpockets. You sound very much like many Aussies I know. They can't stand rabbit as country people especially, got fed it often when the place had a plague of them and any sort of offal is thought of as "dog tucker".
A old friend of ours in his 80s is just so typical ...."What yer cooking tonight then?" he'll ask.  "Pork belly Deano"  "Pork belly! We used to give that stuff to the farm dogs!"
"What are you having Deano?" ......... wait for it ........"Sausages".  :)
I well remember so much of the cheap cuts we enjoy now being the staple diet of so many people way back in the 60s. They're only eaten now by many because of the popularity of all these cooking programmes on the box.
AlanH.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 08:33:57 »
Bubble and squeak from the leftover cabbage and potatoes with cold meat from Sunday lunch.
Rabbit, which I hated.
Steamed rice in a cloth cut into slices with Tate & Lyle's golden syrup.
Rice pudding.
Tripe which I would not touch.
Pork brawn which I would not touch.
Tongue.

No fridge or freezer then, meat was kept in a meat safe and cheese in a cheese dish.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 00:12:48 »
The 50s was more basic.  Food was usually freshly prepared (before convenience foods).  Most people ate meat with the poorer families going for the cheaper cuts.  Stews (Scouse) were a regular meal with fresh veg and braising steak.
Sundays were very special and would nearly always be roast beef.  The meat that was left would be used over the next few days - rissoles, mince etc.  Turkey was only at Christmas.  Puddings would be suet based, junket or rice etc.
Teatime was usually sandwiches - meat or fish paste then marmalade, jam, Sunny Spread (pretend honey).  Home made cakes - jam tarts, Oat Cake or currant buns.  We made our own ginger beer.

Those were my childhood meals but more affluent families probably fared better.

JW

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 22:01:38 »
Thank you so much everyone, I've got a good idea now with your information as I am going to experiment with buying the same kinds of food daily as my nan did and cooking the same kinds of meals in order to compare to today's food and meals. I want to teach my grandchildren a little about what it was like when I was a child and I often give them little samples of what it was like to live back then. They couldn`t believe we didn`t have hot water, indoor toilets and when I told them about the old tin bath in front of the coal fire, well the horror on their faces, so this should be something they will enjoy.
***I am still the child within***

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 21:09:49 »
Hi Rochester Bred

Go to Google Images and type in the search box   -   60s food

The resulting images pretty well sum up my memory of what we ate.  I was in my mid to late teens in the 60s so I was one of the lucky ones.

JW

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 20:44:08 »
Makes me feel old - very, when you talk about your grandparents shopping - 'cos I can tell you personally what we would have bought in the 60's! In 1960, I moved to a new job 10 miles from home instead of travelling to London. I was 30 & had been married 7 years. We moved into our own house in 1955, had a daughter in '57, another in '59 & a son in '64. We always had a cooked breakfast of (any 2) egg (fried, poached, scrambled), sausage, bacon, tomato, fried bread + toast & marmalade, sometimes cornflakes, sometimes porridge, tea with milk & sugar. Always butter- I abhored "marg"( Stork) which was available during the war but I then always had dry bread - "marg" was for cooking! My wife, a good cook, made all our meals from scratch - NO take aways then, nor "ready meals". So, pies, stews, roasts, chops (all either beef, lamb, pork or chicken), fish (cod), liver, puddings (e.g. apple pie & custard, semolina, rice); cakes of many types - mostly sponge or dried fruit. Everyone liked cheese except me, so that was often for tea and & I would have tomatoes on toast (in Summer, from the garden) - maybe Heinz beans. We had apple & pear trees in the garden + a large peach, so did well for fruit, even kept some for early Winter, wrapped in newspaper. So the shopping, apart from ingredients for above would have been veg.- potatoes, carrots, peas - NOT frozen-runner beans, sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, onions, leeks, tomatoes, swede, parsnips. Fruit - apples, pears, oranges, plums. Luxuries; ice cream, milk chocolate, fish & chips, Horlicks, Ovaltine. Hope this helps.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 19:30:48 »
My parents grew most of what we ate (we had a large garden and small orchard) but would certainly have bought in flour, eggs, bread, fairly cheap cuts of meat, sugar, breakfast cereal, the occasional tin of beans +salt, pepper, mustard and ketchup. In season we would be off over the fields blackberrying for the blackberry and apple pies and crumbles.The garden grew peas, beans, brassica, red and blackcurrants, gooseberries, tomatoes, root veg., carrots, radish, onion, beetroot and so on. The orchard had apples (cookers and eaters), plums and pears.The plums were preserved in  "Kilner" jars, the apples were stored, each individually wrapped in a sheet of newspaper and would last for months, the pears were eaten as soon as possible though the wasps got most of them. Lord how I hated cabbage :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
1960 Shopping list enquiry.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 17:34:32 »
I am trying to do some research on the weekly food items that my grandparents would have purchased for a week's shopping in the 1960s and wonder if members could help me with this. I am looking for the sorts of oods they would have got for their three main meals a day for a week, thank you for any help with this.
***I am still the child within***

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines