News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Impact of The Reformation on the Baptismal Liturgy in Kent Churches  (Read 1714 times)

Offline TomBruges

• Appreciation 0
Re: Impact of The Reformation on the Baptismal Liturgy in Kent Churches
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 13:44:12 »
Thanks Davpott.

I will look him up and be in contact.

Tom

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 20:49:37 »
Sorry TomBruges I've only just seen your post.

The man to approach on this subject is Professor Kenneth Fincham of University of Kent.  https://www.kent.ac.uk/history/staff/profiles/fincham.html

He has encyclopaedic knowledge of the changes in English religious ceremony and practices of the 16th and 17th centuries. If he doesn't know the answers he will know someone that will.   

Offline TomBruges

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:36:53 »
Many thanks CAT and Bilgerat

Very useful stuff and I will be on to this today. I will be back on the site soon.

Tom

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 19:25:16 »
It may also be worth looking at the 'Canterbury Martyrs', all of whom where from different parishes in East Kent and we're burnt at the stake for there protestent beliefs in the mid sixteenth century? Their martyrdom formed the beginning of a scheme of further executions throughout Kent between 1555 and 1558. However my own research into the later reorganisation of church interiors largely revealed poor recording at the time of exactly where fixtures, including fonts, were previously. However, recent evidence of the font being moved from beside the south door to within the body of the church pre-seventeenth century was revealed at Wisborough church near Ashford.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 18:53:21 »
Hi Tom,

A good source for information about the impact of the Huguenot refugees would be the Huguenot Museum in Rochester. They have a website here if you haven't found it yet:

http://huguenotmuseum.org/

I know from my own researches that the parish records of St. Mary Magdelen in Gillingham are kept in the Medway Archive, but you'd need to visit to find anything. There may be something about it there. St Mary Magdalen in Gillingham is one of the oldest churches in Kent, dating from the 11th century so it would have definately been affected by the Reformation. You can trawl through the Medway Archive's catalogue here, although, as I previously stated, you'd need to actually visit to read any documents, although much of their collection is on microfilm so can be read without having to register for a Readers Card, for which proof of ID is required.

The Medway Archive's website is here:

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline TomBruges

• Appreciation 0
Impact of The Reformation on the Baptismal Liturgy in Kent Churches
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 08:10:51 »
Hello everyone,

I have just joined the Forum. I have previously lived in Kent and still travel to and through it several times a year but now live with my wife in Bruges, Flanders.

I am a mature student studying for an MA in History and am currently writing an essay on how the Reformation affected the baptism liturgy in parish churches in Kent. I hope to use a sample of (say) 10 churches to describe the key areas of change. The scope of the essay will cover:

The Reformation after the 1538 injunction  from Henry VIII that the bible is to be made available to parishioners in English and thereafter, the more fundamental changes under Edward VI (1547 onwards) and subsequent revisions through to the end of the Interregnum in 1660. There might be some evidence of movement in the opposite direction under Mary and during the time of William Laud as Archbishop of Canterbury.

I believe Lutheran and Calvinist preachers mainly entered England via Kent and wonder if there is any evidence of their involvement at some churches. In particular, is there evidence to be found in churches of the arrival of the Hugeunots.

The main baptismal changes I anticipate, consisted of moving the font away from the church entrance into the body of the church; including for the first time, the parishioners in the baptism service and not limiting it to parents/godparents; changes sometimes to the font itself (and/or its cover) to remove ornate and 'mythologicalí carvings on or around the font, and revisions (depending on local interpretations) away from water immersion to sprinkling.

My question then, is can anyone recommend particular Kent churches that I might visit to see Reformation change in Baptism? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Tom

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines