News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Command of the Heights  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 3
Re: Command of the Heights
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 13:35:20 »
There is a short article on page 21 of Medway Matters Winter 2017 magazine.
It makes reference to some georectification mapping done by a local school child, Nick Moir.

I am wondering if this mapping will be made available for public viewing, at the fort, or a local library, or even online?

Do any KHF members have any idea please?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 16:55:41 »
That's timely! Looks like I was correct about the Barrier road entrance. Not sure about the "several other projects to improve Chatham town centre" bit though. How many times have we heard that one?

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 16:07:26 »
This was in Kentonline the other day.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/final-bid-in-project-to-116910

I wonder if it will come about ?
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 15:08:57 »
Thanks for the info. I was wondering how this would be tackled owing to the fact, as you say, that the ditch ended at a point that is now inland. For anyone interested but not aware of this, here is an overlay on top of the existing layout showing the original configuration.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:50:51 »
There are plans and visualisations, but I'm not sure if they have been made public yet. From what I have seen the Barrier Ditch is likely to become publicly accessible. The rampart and guardhouse will be restored between Dock Road/Church Hill and the river, but the ditch will not be fully excavated. Instead the course of the ditch will be marked out in paving and the original line of the footbridge will be indicated. The line of the riverfront has changed by several meters since the ditch was filled in, so there will be an area of grass between the end of the indicated ditch and the river.

A 'fort' themed adventure playground will also be included, and it may be that part of the ditch is exposed to full depth, but with a glass floor over it at the reinstated ground level.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Command of the Heights
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 17:21:25 »
This will entail the demolition of the Riverside One building to expose the missing part of the Barrier ditch and will include "a new entrance to Fort Amherst from Chatham town centre". I can only assume this means via Barrier Road. The restoration of the Spur Battery is also included.

I was wondering if there are any plans or visualisations of this project as I haven't seen anything published.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines