Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Twopeny family of Woodstock, Sittingbourne.  (Read 1316 times)

Online Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: The Twopeny family of Woodstock, Sittingbourne.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 18:41:18 »
A couple of Twopeny memorials in Tunstall Church. The yellowish `band` at the foot of the window can just be deciphered if enlarged.

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
    • The Upchurch Collection
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 07:31:54 »
Perhaps you`ve already seen this, but if not .......

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/edward-twopenny-of-woodstock-sittingbourne-76677

Yes I had seen that, a fine portrait.  Someone donated the painting to Maidstone Museum.  Thank you for posting this.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

Online Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 12:09:55 »

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 08:11:57 »
Thank you all for posting on this, I am grateful and it does help.

Regards
Mike
Mike Gunnill

Online Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 15:02:43 »
I think this is the `table tomb` referred to in Sentinel S4`s post. Unfortunately I couldn`t find any inscription. It is very weathered and dilapidated and is beneath the tree to the left of the porch.  Hope I`ve got the right one! 

Online Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 17:23:10 »
There  were very fine fireplaces in all the main rooms. 
It was demolished in, I believe, 1967[/color]
I entered this building when I was very young. It was in a derelict state and, strangely, my only memory is of a very large fireplace, everything else was in a bad state. I`ll try to get a photo of the Twopeney tomb in Tunstall churchyard. My Gt. Grandparents are also interred there.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 162
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 20:53:05 »
I recieved this from Dad this evening, 2-2-2017. I copied it direct from the email. These are the memories of an 83 year old and as ever he was, as am I, interested in the Blackstone engine. That is a family thing. I hope this helps. Sadly the Google Earth historical view has a large picture joint right through the house, it could not be in a worse place. However it does show the gardens as seen by my Dad and is the aspect depicted in this short missive.

WOODSTOCK:  A Georgian red-brick house built by the Tucker-Twopenney (say ‘Tupney’) family during the 1790’s.   Their family grave, a large table-tomb is just to the left outside the porch door as you go into Tunstall Church.   It is very weathered but you can still read the inscription.

As built Woodstock was a typical square Georgian house with low roofs hidden behind a facade.   The windows had louvered shutters flanking them and the front door (up four steps) was flanked by Corinthian columns.   The skylight was of the well-known ‘fan’ design later to be used throughout the 19th century on ship’s paddlebox faces.

There was a single storied north wing attached to the main block.   This wing contained a vast ballroom together with the library.   On the roof, above the ballroom, was a magnificent ventilator.

During the 1840’s the then owners built a matching wing on the south end of the main block.   The south wing contained a large billiard room and other, small rooms.   The south wing was also single storied and matched the north wing, but had no ventilator.   An old woman I knew as a boy had a grandmother who worked at Woodstock and could remember the scaffolding around the new south wing.

In all there were, maybe 45 rooms of various sizes and splendour.   The main entrance hall was paved with black and white polished marble squares.   The staircase was in the rear hall and rose, around the hall to the full three floors.   It was not an especially fine staircase.   There  were very fine fireplaces in all the main rooms.   The door fittings too were quite grand.   The dining room, sitting room, ballroom and library floors were light oak parquet.

The kitchen was, with the other utilities, in the basement.   There was a dumb waiter lift that carried food up to the dining room. 

The park was quite splendid, well landscaped and full of good trees and shrubs.   Rides radiated out from the formal, Italian garden at the rear (east) of the house.   At the west front there was a big carriage turning circle and then lawns dropped away to a quite large lake.   The lake was quite deep and a friend of mine lost a steamboat (powered by a Mamod oscillator) well out from the shore.

One ride ended at a fountain, in my time overgrown with bine and ivy.   It was surrounded by statues of nude girls depicting the various virtues.   By my time frost, snow, ice and rain had damaged these figures and the result was truly horrible.   To come upon them without thinking in the fog, or with sun on the point of setting could be a NASTY experience!

Woodstock never kept owners long.   Whether there was anything sinister in this I don’t know.   From about 1890 through to the early 1920’s it was owned by the  Earl of Westmoreland.   He installed a big, twin flywheeled single cylinder Blackstone oil engine to generate electricity.   The engine was still in situ in my time and we often turned it over by hand.   The flywheels were about 6ft. in diameter.

My father and his sisters, as children, always went to the Christmas party at Woodstock.   One year (Dad believed it was 1910)  the Christmas tree went up in flames.   It was about 12ft. tall.   It was incredible that the whole house didn’t burn.   Wrecked the party though!

After Westmoreland the estate was owned by Captain Gilliatt R.N. Retd.   Gilliatt was the last resident and he moved out in 1937.   The army occupied the house and park during the war and left the house in a poor state, after which it just decayed.
You actually saw Woodstock many times as a toddler.

It was demolished in, I believe, 1967

A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 13:24:07 »
Dad used to play around the old house during the last War. There was a caretaker in residence at the time but the place was decaying fast. I can't remember when it was finally demolished but very little can now be seen at ground level. I will see if he can email me some of his memories of the place at that time and up to demolition.

Odd that they lived in Tynwald House as the Tynwald is the Manx Parliament and the Aged Parent lives on the Isle of Man and has done so for many years. Small World really...

S4.

Thanks Sentinel S4

The house must have been large and strange to think, nothing remains today.

regards
Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 162
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 19:03:24 »
Dad used to play around the old house during the last War. There was a caretaker in residence at the time but the place was decaying fast. I can't remember when it was finally demolished but very little can now be seen at ground level. I will see if he can email me some of his memories of the place at that time and up to demolition.

Odd that they lived in Tynwald House as the Tynwald is the Manx Parliament and the Aged Parent lives on the Isle of Man and has done so for many years. Small World really...

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline davidcowell42

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 17:35:00 »
We have indeed Mike.

I cannot see your email address but mine is:

david@davidcowell.net

Many thanks

David

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 21:52:14 »
Hello

I am researching Tynwald House in Hythe where Charles Twopeny lived when he was Mayor of Hythe. If anyone has any family history of Charles I would be most pleased and appreciative to receive it.

Thank you

David Cowell

David

I think we have spoken before.  I have details about Twopeny & Hythe.  If you make contact via my email address I will forward what I have, if it will help you.

mikegunnill
ATmacDOTcom
Mike Gunnill

Offline davidcowell42

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 19:50:22 »
Hello

I am researching Tynwald House in Hythe where Charles Twopeny lived when he was Mayor of Hythe. If anyone has any family history of Charles I would be most pleased and appreciative to receive it.

Thank you

David Cowell

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 10:07:33 »
Mike, (mikegunnill)  you will find all the info you need on my old post that Bryn has given the link for. If you need any more detail ask me and I will try to help. Merry Christmas, Rog :)

Many thanks Grand:

Grateful as ever for assistance.  A Happy Christmas to Grandarog and all on the forum.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 95
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 09:32:22 »
Mike, (mikegunnill)  you will find all the info you need on my old post that Bryn has given the link for. If you need any more detail ask me and I will try to help. Merry Christmas, Rog :)

Online Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:13:53 »
The house was demolished many years ago and from little of what I remember, it was in a poor state. A few months ago I made a special trip in order to ascertain whether there was anything remaining but, from a distance, was unable to see anything.
Any further information may eventually come from granderog and SentinelS4.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines