News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Captain's Uniform?  (Read 975 times)

Offline Bob K

• Appreciation 0
Re: Captain's Uniform?
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 16:51:42 »
Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions. I'll have a crack at the MOD and see if I can obtain his Home Guard records.

Regards all
Bob

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 100
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 14:31:19 »
Here`s the family in 1939, living at

12 Church Road, Ramsgate M.B., Kent,

Richard (W) Cripps   31 Oct 1889      
Margaret (E) Cripps  28 Jul 1890 U D D   
Sydney (R)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              )Cripps? Mar 1920      
Eileen (I M) Cripps   29 Aug 1921      
Joan   Kenhard (Cripps)  01 Jan 1924   
Sub Post Office Assistant
Jack   Cripps 24 Sep 1925    At School   
Evelyn ECripps 10 Jun 1916U D D

Note....UDD = Unpaid Domestic Duties.

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:37:55 »
If he lived in Ramsgate and was in the  6th(Thanet) Btn of the Kent Home Guard he would have worn the cap badge of the East Kent Regt.

As a member of the Post Office, he might have been in the 25th (Post Office) Battalion of the Home Guard, although I'm not sure about that cap badge?

I can't see his name in the 1941 Home Guard List of Officers?

I'd be interested to know what info turns up

regards
Ian

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 100
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 20:42:27 »
Looks like the start of his Post Office career.

THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, SEPTEMBER 5, 1919.

Post Office:
Male Sorting Clerk and Telegraphist,
Ramsgate
Richard William Cripps.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 17:04:21 »
The Home Guard formed part of the British Army. Their service records are held with all other Army records.
Go to http://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
State "Home Guard" where it asks for Regiment or Corps.
Don't Let the Devil Ride Chris and Abby

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 100
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 15:15:29 »
You can also post your request on the Rootschat WW2 Board . They are very knowledgeable about such things. Good Luck .

Offline Bob K

• Appreciation 0
Captain's Uniform?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 11:30:57 »
Very interesting post - as a newcomer to this Forum I apologise in advance if I am incorrect in posing my question here!

I have been intrigued to find a photograph of my grandfather, Richard William Cripps, in a captain's uniform with a hat badge that I believe to be the Royal West Kents. The rear of the photo bears the date February 19th 1944 when he would have been 55 years old. He hailed from Gravesend and served as a Cpl signaller with the Royal Engineers in WW1 when he was awarded the Millitary Medal for his actions near Beugnatre on the 21st  and 22nd March 1918.

He lived in Ramsgate and worked in the Post Office during WW2 and I understood from my parents that he had been in the Home Guard in WW2. His medals include the Defence Medal which implies that he was in the Home Guard for at least three years. I can find no trace of him in the various WW2 online records and wonder if there is another avenue I might try to determine the details of his WW2 service? 

I would be grateful for any advice you may have.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines