Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sittingbourne Football Club  (Read 598 times)

Offline Barry 5X

• Appreciation 0
Sittingbourne Football Club
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 18:46:57 »
As a young lad I used to cycle from Iwade to support Sittingbourne Football Club who played on a pitch up the lane behind the Bull Hotel.

The fixtures, which drew the most attention, were those matches against Folkestone (the enemy - for what reason I do not know).  I recall Sittingbourne had a Scottish forward called Jock White who was a cult hero at the time a tough little character who used to put it about a bit.  I can recall that at one game on a wet night under floodlights, a corner was taken and Jock ran in and headed the ball towards goal.  This action resulted in Jock laying prone and unconscious having knocked himself out due to the weight of the ball which was sodden with water (remember the old leather balls (and boots) which had to be treated with dubbin).

The highlight of my support was when Sittingbourne hosted Chelsea for a friendly match on the 16/2/1960 when I was aged 16.  To my amazement and joy, Chelsea Football Club fielded most if not all of their first team, which included Jimmy Greaves, Peter Brabrook, Frank Blunstone and Johnny Brooks.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines