Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Junior King’s School, Sturry.  (Read 610 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paolo

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
  • Appreciation 14
Re: The Junior King’s School, Sturry.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:36 »
After Lord Milner died in 1925 his widow presented the manor house, previously known as Sturry Court, the tithe barn, cottage and six acres to the King’s School.  A special price was negotiated for the surrounding lands, amounting to some seventy acres. 
At one stage there was a suggestion that the whole school should move to Sturry, the properties within the Precincts being owned by the Dean and Chapter. That was considered unthinkable although similar moves had been made by St. Peter’s, York and Durham School.
The first Headmaster at Sturry, Mr. R.H. Juckes M.C., built a huge swimming pool, from memory at least twelve feet deep.  It was halved to form a model boating lake in the Fifties.  A great new building was designed by DS. Tatchell and G.C. Wilson, with large dormitories, classrooms, a dining hall, where Lords Milner’s portrait hangs, and kitchens equipped to feed two hundred.  The original plan was for a huge H shaped building but this proved over-ambitious.
Many parts of the grounds were kept as they had been in Lord Milner’s time but a broad playing field, the “Railway Field”, was laid out to the west of the Oast House pictured in this thread. Later another field was purchased to the southwest, the “River Field” and a close connection endured with the Senior School.
The Tithe Barn pictured was restored by the subscriptions of parents and other friends.  Behind the Elizabethan stage a playroom was built for wet afternoons while in the main school building the library was enlarged.
Perhaps the most historically interesting building on the campus is the old Manor House.  There was a priest hole underneath the stairs with a fine religious mural.  Although never found, it was reputed that there was a tunnel linking the Manor House to the nearby church of St. Nicholas.
Excavation in the Fifties to the right hand side of Kyn’s pictures revealed something of the old Roman road linking Canterbury to Richborough.
In subsequent years considerable investment has led Milner Court to be one of the best-equipped preparatory schools in the land.

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7435
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
The Junior King’s School, Sturry.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 19:26:17 »
This preparatory school, part of the oldest school in England, was opened in 1929 by Rudyard Kipling who was a great friend of Lord Alfred Milner.  The prep school was initially based in Canterbury Cathedral’s crypt but was moved to Milner Court, a Tudor house and grounds, in Sturry, which was donated by Lady Milner after the death of Lord Milner in 1925.  As the school is very enclosed the main building you see is the Tithe Barn and Oast.



 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines