Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 6th Battalion The Buffs 3rd July 1916  (Read 756 times)

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
Re: 6th Battalion The Buffs 3rd July 1916
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 20:58:49 »
As promised a bit more -

From - Historical Records of the Buffs East Kent Regiment 1914 - 1919 by S H Moody page 141.

Order of battle that day for the 37th Brigade was 6th Battalion, Queen's Regiment on the right (South) supported by two companies of the Buffs, 6th Bn Royal West Kent Regiment on the left (North) supported by two companies of the Buffs, the 7th Bn, East Surrey Regiment in support.

It would appear reading further the Buffs B and D companies were to the right (South) and A and C companies were to the left (North).
After a few casualties, sustained by reason of the usual retaliation to our bombardment, the Queen’s and West Kents attacked. Very heavy machine-gun flanking fire met the Kentish men from the left (North) and the Queen’s from the right (South). “A” Company of the Buffs “ went over ” by plattons about 3.30 a.m., and the first wave suffered few casualties until the German wire was reached; but the succeeding waves of this company, and those of “C” Company also, suffered heavily in their advance. ........... The intense enemy machine-gun fire held up also the attack on the right (South) , and “B” and “D” Companies did not go into the struggle.

Total casualties on the 3rd. For the 6th. Battalion The Buffs, 11 officersand 263 other ranks.

There is a small map in The Somme. The day-by-day account. Chris McCarthy quoted by Herb Collector below which shows the 37th. Brigade West of Ovillers.

The Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment 1914 to 1919 by C T Atkinson

See pages 184 to 189 here http://www.janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/QORWK%20-%20C%20T%20ATKINSON%20Ch%2012.pdf

Which will give you more detail if William was in A or C companies. There are some sketches 18 & 19 after page 203.

The 6th Battalion, Queen's Regiment war Diary for the 3rd July.

See here  - http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/war_diaries/local/1_6Bn_Queens/1_6Bn_Queens_1916/1_6Bn_Queens_1916_07.shtml for the 6th Battalion, Queen's Regiment war Diary for the 3rd July.

It pins it down a bit better but as always it is not definitive enough.

I hope this is of help.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:18:46 »

Pertinent points from Historical Records of the Buffs East Kent Regiment 1914 - 1919 by S H Moody pages 140 to 141 inclusive.

The village (Ovillers) would be attacked at 3.15 a.m.
Order of battle that day for the 37th Brigade was 6th Battalion, Queen's Regiment on the right supported by two companies of the Buffs, 6th Bn Royal West Kent Regiment on the left supported by two companies of the Buffs, the 7th Bn, East Surrey Regiment in support.

It would appear reading further the Buffs B and D companies were to the right and A and C companies were to the left.

I am sorry but I have run out of time I will try and add more later, I think I may have access to a map which shows the regiments positions prior to the attack.

You mentioned the book I have obtained this from earlier do you have access to a copy?

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 212
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 21:35:51 »
From The Somme. The day-by-day account. Chris McCarthy.

3 July 1916
12th Division
At 2.15 a.m. the opening bombardment started with two brigades of artillery from 19th Division. 12th Division attacked Ovillers at 3.15 a.m. Assembly trenches had been dug in no man's land, reducing its width from 800 yards to 500 yards. On the right were 5th Royal Berkshires and 7th Suffolks (35 Brigade). and on the left 6th Queen's and 6th Royal West Kents.(37 Brigade)
By 9 a.m. the Division reported total failure, at a cost of 2,400 casualties. One company of 9th Essex, in support of the Berkshires, drifted towards La Boisselle where it cut off 200 Germans.

37 Brigade
6th Battalion, Queen's Regiment.
6th Bn, Buffs, Royal East Kent Regiment. In support of the 6th Queen's and 6th RWK as above.
7th Bn, East Surrey Regiment.
6th Bn Royal West Kent Regiment.

I assume you have already seen this link? Babs Nov 07 2013.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=598.msg146110#msg146110
Herr Holger  Garmarna

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 16:17:17 »
Just to note that http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053523 (January thru August 1916) is c73MB; £3.45.

Offline OilyRag

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:52:53 »
If you go to the national archives you can download the regimental diary and see where they were day by day.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4555011

I think its about £4 a download, which covers around 9 months depending on how busy they were.

I did this for the 7th Buffs which my two great uncles served and died with, and gave great insight to what they were doing in the run up and on the day of their death.

When I visited Thiepval to see my uncle Thomas Huckstepps name on the memorial last year on the 100th anniversary of his death I was then able to go and stand within about 50 metres of where he fell.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 21:38:36 »
"Steady the Buffs" by Mark Connelly and visible on Google Books says Ovillers la Boisselle and also refers to (NA?) document WO95/1860.

Offline Kevin cordes

• Appreciation 0
6th Battalion The Buffs 3rd July 1916
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 19:45:09 »
Hi,
Does anyone know where The 6th Battalion The Buffs attacked the German lines near Albert Village early morning July 3rd 1916? My relative William Harold Woolley was killed there and is buried St. Serre Road cemetery no. 2, but I'm not sure where he was killed as Albert Village seems to be a generic name for actions in that area and reading Moody's book on the history of The Buffs is not clear as where they attacked that morning.
Thanks,
Kevin Cordes (Woolley and Hallam on mother`s side).

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines