News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham High St  (Read 1103 times)

KeithJG

Re: Chatham High St
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 17:43:05 »
Nothing but superb.......a very clever thought which in practice worked well.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 16:32:03 »
Thank you Desbrow.

It's funny looking at old photo's like this and seeing how everyone used to stop what they were doing, or even come out into the street in order to get in the picture. I suspect that this part of the High Street is now under constant camera surveillance 24 hours a day!

Offline Desbrow

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 03:01:41 »
Very nicely done smiffy.  It's strangely hypnotic watching the ghostly figures from the one shot snap into focus in the next. Photographers of the period must have had to develop a keen sense for when their subjects had moved too much and another plate woud be required (no instantaneous results as we now have in our digital age).

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 15:34:55 »
On the left of the picture is what is now the entrance to Batchelor Street. The modern numbering would be 261-263.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 14:22:29 »
A good job you did there. I'm not familiar with Chatham High Street, so which end ( No's of the shops) is shown please? My Dad was an apprentice at an artesian well drillers in the 1910's at one end of the H.St. I thought at first how tall the people were in the middle but then realised the shop fronts were very low!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 16:47:18 »
Thanks smiffy, I liked that one  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Chatham High St
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 16:08:06 »
This concerns a quite well-known picture of Chatham High Street that shows the entrance to Fullalove Alley. I found that there are actually two versions of this photograph, one taken shortly before the other from exactly the same location. What I have done is combined both photographs into an animated gif showing the changes. There was a difference in resolution which caused problems but I think the result is acceptable. It's not exactly a movie, but I think that something this old that shows any movement at all is quite fascinating to see.

Link:

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/smudge1954/media/HighSt.gif.html?o=0

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines