News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pier Chambers, Medway Street  (Read 2286 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
Re: Pier Chambers, Medway Street
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 14:09:07 »
They have a website here:

http://www.richardwatts.org.uk

There is also a sizeable Wikipedia entry.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 10:59:57 »
Sorry, not certain if this is in the right place but we seem to be on the subject of land owner ship of property in the Medway st  area, my reasoning is, much of interest concerning this area has been published in recent blogs, pier chambers, the flour mill, the do it yourself stores,
To open up the field of knowledge, something we have always strived to do in the fourum. I think a broader foundation of the part Richard Watts Charities have played in forming the Medway towns area would be of interest to many of our members, any one interested ?

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:52 »
Signals99, ref Watts Charity.  I gave Kyn a book on Watts Charity and if my memory serves me right, Watts Charity own all the triangle from The old Sun Hotel to Military Road, all of Holborn Wharf. I think they are still one of the biggest land owners in Chatham.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 01:10:54 »
Mike S, yes the whole building was the Sun Hotel, but it had two separate bars, one inside for guests and the Sun Shades in Medway Street, well known for its attraction to "gentlemen of a certain persuasion "  I'm pretty certain the building was owned by Watts charities, as was the mill at one time. ln fact Watts owned a very large part of that area of Chatham, I once had a booklet published by Watts detailing some of their history, very interesting too, unfortunately lost in the mists of time (the book that is).

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 11:02:08 »
Was it The Sun Hotel?

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 09:44:13 »
Not sure exactly where this Pier Chambers was but Signals reminded me of the pub which was immediately on the left as you turned from the High Street to go into Medway St.
A bar there was called the Shades Bar and many of those that drank there were queer. I'm sorry but being old (and ugly most say) I don't know how to put that bit politely and not upset someone.......
AlanH.

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 17:00:47 »
Reference Kings Arms Holborn wharf Chatham, goes back to 1670.  John Allen was the landlord in 1851 was snitched on for serving out of hours. Holborn wharf was redeveloped in 1870's. Although marked for demolition the wooden building was destroyed by fire. Again by fire in 1873. The pub was owned by Watts Charity and insured for 900. John Cameron licences brother was trapped and burnt to death. In 1900 it was valued at 1700. It survived until being pulled down in 2002 after squatters had finished with it.

Greyuncle

The Late Roy Murrants Mate

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 12:17:00 »
There`s a photo of the Kings Arms on the Closed pubs site. I think it`s the right one as the top of the Town Hall can be seen a short distance away in the correct place (I think).

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/kent/chatham.html

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 10:35:46 »
Kings Arms I think Rochester-bred

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 09:23:38 »
The current pier was completed in 1886, replacing the older one which had been there since the 1830's. I think I have a picture somewhere that shows the old pier, if I can find it I'll post it in the Sun Pier topic.

There was a pub that I remember just past Staples and on the corner of the entrance to the car park that is there now as back in the late 70/80s I used to use it, I think it was called the kings something although I may be wrong, I remember my Uncle trying to buy the pub.
***I am still the child within***

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 01:33:55 »
I think that was the "Sun Tap", part of the old Sun Hotel.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 22:42:54 »
Smiffy, ref the pier chambers being a pub, there was a pub of some sort in that area, it was called the "Sun shades" I think, may have been part of a hotel? I remember they were very close together, almost next door.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 17:46:40 »
The current pier was completed in 1886, replacing the older one which had been there since the 1830's. I think I have a picture somewhere that shows the old pier, if I can find it I'll post it in the Sun Pier topic.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 14:56:03 »
You may well be right smiffy re Sun Pier. I was quoting from Presnail "The Story of Chatham" and I know he is not always reliable. Perhaps the current iron pier was built in 1886, replacing an older wooden pier?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 14:04:06 »
For some odd reason I used to think the Pier Chambers had originally been a Pub!

I think the Sun Pier has been there since well before 1886.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines