News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pier Chambers, Medway Street  (Read 2276 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
Re: Pier Chambers, Medway Street
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 10:55:34 »
The Pier Chambers always fascinated me as a building, seemingly out of place in its location. When built, the area which later became Medway Street, was an industrial / warehouse / waterfront  area so why put the grand turreted bay window facing this way, when it could have looked out over the river? But then I suppose it was meant to impress passing, possible potential customers of the business. That lovely bay window must indicate where the "boss" had his office.
"Chambers" suggests a law firm / solicitors as the original occupants? Sun Pier was built in 1886 so perhaps the Chambers were built thereabouts too?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 00:20:32 »
I have a feeling that Gransden Marine occupied these premises at some time during the 80's. I may be wrong though.

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 11:36:45 »
To all the good people that found J T Chaters , I am very Grateful. It was there when I was a telegram boy and still there when we had the New Inn on Luton Road in the late sixties.

Thanks

Grey uncle

KeithJG

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 18:12:02 »
The BBC were still there in September 2011

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 20:25:24 »
Thanks for that redge, that must be the name that can nearly be made out - J T Chater.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 20:13:58 »
In the 1960s to the mid 1970 s it was Chaters, a wholesale tobacco company, they sold it to Theobalds in Luton (opposite Christ Church).
redge

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 15:12:53 »
Radio Kent aren't there anymore - I think it's standing empty at the moment.

It definitely looks late Victorian but on the 1860's OS there is a building occupying the same footprint so possibly it's been there since then. This was before Medway Street was connected to the High Street.

Whatever it was originally it's now the only pre-twentieth century structure remaining.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 14:05:23 »
Radio Kent were using the building about 10 years ago. Are they still there?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:00:01 »
All I can presently find is an 1898/99 reference to the building being occupied by George C Pepper a Chartered Accountant, and then in 1902 being the offices of Mr G E Bond the celebrated architect. To me the building looks to be late Victorian so maybe not many or possibly even no occupiers previous to George Pepper?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
Pier Chambers, Medway Street
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:01:19 »
There is a mention on the Hooker's Mill thread about Pier Chambers, but does anyone know what this building`s original purpose was?

This photo dates from 1968 and zooming in you can make out part of the name and the word "Wholesale" but the rest is too blurred to read. Greyuncle states that it used to be a wholesale tobacconist at one time, so this fits.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines