News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Cottages & Farmhouses in Kent & Sussex. Published 1900  (Read 995 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Re: Old Cottages & Farmhouses in Kent & Sussex. Published 1900
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 22:40:14 »
I must admit to being intrigued by the flagpole(?) sticking out of the dormer window in the Tenterden example.

I think it is a clothes line?
Ode to Joy Beethoven

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 22:09:28 »
A very interesting book. Thanks for sharing the link.

The other building in Tenterden is a few doors away to the South/West on the same side of the road as the other one. The Old Chequers at Tonbridge is still there. The one in Penshurst graveyard is probably still there. 

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 21:47:16 »
I must admit to being intrigued by the flagpole(?) sticking out of the dormer window in the Tenterden example. Possibly still there, North side of east end of high street, now a chinese restuarant?

It looks like the building next to Laura Ashley (on Google Street View). South side of the High Street near the junction with Sayers Lane.

I had originally thought it could be the Woolpack almost opposite but clearly it isn't. 

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 17:48:21 »
I must admit to being intrigued by the flagpole(?) sticking out of the dormer window in the Tenterden example. Possibly still there, North side of east end of high street, now a chinese restuarant?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Old Cottages & Farmhouses in Kent & Sussex. Published 1900
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 17:01:46 »
Old Cottages and Farmhouses in Kent and Sussex.
Available as a free E-Book @ http://archive.org/stream/oldcottagesfarmh00dawbrich#page/n9/mode/2up
The first 28 pages are taken up by descriptive notes and sketchs by E G Dawker. This section is followed by almost 100 black/white photographs taken by W Galsworthy Davie.
Each building is individual and full of character. I wonder how many survive today?
Ode to Joy Beethoven

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines