News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester Warrenwood  (Read 1899 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: Rochester Warrenwood
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 08:26:03 »
Great pics RB and show the full extent of the prefabs long before they started building the "white houses" where I lived in around the mid 60s I think. I lived at No79 Warren Wood Rd (and someone we both know lived just out the back of me) which was the last house in off the road and next to the stadium.
Many a time we saw blokes creeping through those bushes between us and the stadium and pushing the fence apart to get in for nothing.  :)
There were still many of the prefabs still standing when we moved in but they gradually went to be replaced by our more modern homes. Funnily we never heard anything about the problems with asbestos in those days and those old places were virtually made entirely out of it.
AlanH.

Offline bernardhowell

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 19:13:25 »
Smiffy, thanks for that I did suspect that was the case of the date being incorrect, perhaps someone should be told !
All other respondents, thanks for your input and contributions.
BernEG

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:36 »
1944 -1949   Council Correspondence about Warren Wood Housing erecting temporary houses public utility .           

1955 - 1969   Council Correspondence about removal of the prefabs at Warren Wood estate  removal of the prefabs .

***I am still the child within***

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:20 »
Thanks Rochester-bred, the photos are great, did not realise just how isolated the area was at that time. As a child my sisters often took me in my pushchair to watch the prefabs being erected. I always understood the work force were German prisoners of war ?  But have since been told by an esteemed forum member this was not possible.  Point of interest does, any one know when the prefabs were erected ?

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:30:56 »
Having worked at the airport for a few years I did see some amazing photos of the airport and have a few but sadly we all had to sign the official secrets act declaration, so they are not for public showing :(

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:47 »
This is a picture of the prefabs and also a picture of the airport works buildings which are above the prefabs across the field but below the actual take off area . As many will know the oval was Rochester Greyhoud racing track.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:18:33 »
Warren Wood had prefabs which housed the public who had lost homes after the war, It was not a camp just a small community of homes. In the 60s I went to visit an aunt who lived there and have spoken to many who lived there before it was demolished in the 60s and the new Warren Wood estate was built. I actually live in Warren Wood and have pictures of the prefabs here, once they pulled them down they built the estate on a similar layout as the temporary homes had been in.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:21:25 »
Just a thought ?  Could it have been the RN overflow camp that was in that area. Can't find the map myself.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 23:12:53 »
I believe the date is incorrect. I have seen these aerial photos elsewhere dated 1945/46 which seems more like it.

Offline bernardhowell

• Appreciation 0
Rochester Warrenwood
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:54:08 »
While looking at GoogleMaps aerial photos that are dated 1940, I have spotted on the area that is now the Warrenwood estate in the southern part of Rochester, next to the old airfield, an area that has a number of  rectangles spaced around and along the roads. I assumed that they were the prefab houses that were in the area but  on reflection the prefabs were not built until post war.
 Am I correct in this thought? If so by extension is the date on the map/photo that is incorrect? Or?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines