Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester Warrenwood  (Read 906 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 26
Re: Rochester Warrenwood
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 09:20:19 »
Certainly doesn't look like any prefab I've ever seen but thanks for the info. Nice to hear it's not just a boozing club for so called "workers"....  :)
AlanH.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 16:30:07 »
Rochester bred, that boys club building has the appearance of an old railway wagon, I wonder whether it was?

I was told it was part of one of the prefabs that was left for the boys club then later taken down .
***I am still the child within***

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 13:58:58 »
Rochester bred, that boys club building has the appearance of an old railway wagon, I wonder whether it was?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 11:50:10 »
I have enclosed a picture of the boys club which was a prefab which stayed into the 70s then after it was pulled down a Social club was built which is quiet and rather respectable. I have been a couple of times with family.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 08:41:43 »
I know what you mean RB as our place was the one furthest off the road so no one passed it. Except you lot trying to get in the stadium.  :) Didn't matter though as we knew many people from our school days and of course others like us came up from the flats down off Manor Lane in Borstal.
Yes it was a fairly good community but did hear they put a "working mens club" or something in the middle of it all, but as I haven't been back for over 35 years I can't say If that's true or not. Perhaps you can advise?
AlanH.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 09:40:15 »
AlanH I remember well climbing through the bushes myself to the greyhound track even though I could have got in for free due to family working there. I wanted to go on with my friends, I have spoken to many people who lived in the prefabs and then moved into the houses on the estate after they removed prefabs and they all said how sturdy they were and had everything you needed and lovely gardens each. Where I live we had 2 prefabs on the site but when they built the row of white houses on my patch, they fitted 6 on there, resulting on tiny gardens. Sadly, by the time you shut your back door and do your coat up your going out the back gate. "Ha ha", I won`t complain, it`s a roof over our heads but I wish I had lived in the prefabs as my home, at the time was in a slum area of Rochester due for clearance for many years. The prefabs had everything you needed, even if on a small scale, the only thing was that when they built the last of the phase, the white houses, to replace prefabs they built them on the same road pattern as the prefabs which, unlike them, means the people are alienated from neighbours as so many live in little closes where you don`t have passing people so you can go weeks without seeing anyone as most use the back entrances which are all at different  angles and as there are no roads in the close, no passing traffic. I will say it`s kept its community feel and as long as you go to the local shop you`re bound to come across the locals.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 08:26:03 »
Great pics RB and show the full extent of the prefabs long before they started building the "white houses" where I lived in around the mid 60s I think. I lived at No79 Warren Wood Rd (and someone we both know lived just out the back of me) which was the last house in off the road and next to the stadium.
Many a time we saw blokes creeping through those bushes between us and the stadium and pushing the fence apart to get in for nothing.  :)
There were still many of the prefabs still standing when we moved in but they gradually went to be replaced by our more modern homes. Funnily we never heard anything about the problems with asbestos in those days and those old places were virtually made entirely out of it.
AlanH.

Offline bernardhowell

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 19:13:25 »
Smiffy, thanks for that I did suspect that was the case of the date being incorrect, perhaps someone should be told !
All other respondents, thanks for your input and contributions.
BernEG

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:36 »
1944 -1949   Council Correspondence about Warren Wood Housing erecting temporary houses public utility .           

1955 - 1969   Council Correspondence about removal of the prefabs at Warren Wood estate  removal of the prefabs .

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:20 »
Thanks Rochester-bred, the photos are great, did not realise just how isolated the area was at that time. As a child my sisters often took me in my pushchair to watch the prefabs being erected. I always understood the work force were German prisoners of war ?  But have since been told by an esteemed forum member this was not possible.  Point of interest does, any one know when the prefabs were erected ?

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:30:56 »
Having worked at the airport for a few years I did see some amazing photos of the airport and have a few but sadly we all had to sign the official secrets act declaration, so they are not for public showing :(

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:47 »
This is a picture of the prefabs and also a picture of the airport works buildings which are above the prefabs across the field but below the actual take off area . As many will know the oval was Rochester Greyhoud racing track.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:18:33 »
Warren Wood had prefabs which housed the public who had lost homes after the war, It was not a camp just a small community of homes. In the 60s I went to visit an aunt who lived there and have spoken to many who lived there before it was demolished in the 60s and the new Warren Wood estate was built. I actually live in Warren Wood and have pictures of the prefabs here, once they pulled them down they built the estate on a similar layout as the temporary homes had been in.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:21:25 »
Just a thought ?  Could it have been the RN overflow camp that was in that area. Can't find the map myself.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 57
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 23:12:53 »
I believe the date is incorrect. I have seen these aerial photos elsewhere dated 1945/46 which seems more like it.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines