News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canterbury West Station  (Read 673 times)

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
Re: Canterbury West Station
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:33 »
A few years ago, at the time when the  Kent `domestic` services via HS1 were being mooted and there were fears that the `Javelins` might not be able to run between Folkestone and Dover, I made a submission for a rehash of the rail network in Kent that would overcome a number of problems. In essence it was to restore the long abandoned spur that linked the line from Ashford to that from Faversham to Canterbury and to close the Canterbury West to Minster section of line. This would eliminate two problematic level crossings, particularly that at Sturry, and free up prime development land in the city. Canterbury East would then become the main Canterbury hub and with ample capacity on the line to Dover trains could run to Deal and Ramsgate via a reopened Buckland Junction spur.

The suggestion was prompted by unearthing a Ministerial directive indicating that the closure of lines (almost totally embargoed for many years) could be considered where material benefits were evident. Despite that the eventual response from the DfT was that the Government was not in the business of closing railways, period. Given the proposals for a new Sturry bypass I still think that the foregoing represented a viable solution

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Canterbury West Station
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 19:40:16 »
Early to mid 80's. The centre roads went in 80. I travelled from Chartham to here every school day from 1976-80/81. The centre roads vanished between the start of the summer hols. and the end of November (it got too cold on my bicycle so I went back to the train). I was devastated when I saw that the relief roads had gone, I bet they wish they had kept them now as the West is the principle station for Canterbury.

S4
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
Canterbury West Station
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:02:13 »
https://vimeo.com/mediaartanddesign

If you follow this lnk there is a some really interesting footage of Canterbury West Station - not sure of the date but 1970's / 80's  I would guess judging by the fact that there are still rails leading into the yard by the goods shed
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines