News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Identification of this Faversham Hospital WW1  (Read 1055 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Re: Identification of this Faversham Hospital WW1
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:19:30 »
Hi all, I'm a newbie and my name is Jon and I live in Hythe, Kent. 

H John, I found a modern photo of the back of The Mount and it matches your fabulous family wedding photo perfectly. So to confirm all the other earlier responses found here, it seems the place of the wedding and hospital was indeed The Mount, in Faversham:

https://imganuncios.mitula.net/flat_to_rent_in_the_mount_london_road_faversham_me13_9130066469301395333.jpg

All the best
Jon

Thanks for that Jon.  I was planning a trip to the Mount and your photo proves it will be worthwhile.  It's now residential and I'm hoping I can get access to the rear.

John

Offline jaj132

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 02:32:03 »
Hi all, I'm a newbie and my name is Jon and I live in Hythe, Kent. 

H John, I found a modern photo of the back of The Mount and it matches your fabulous family wedding photo perfectly. So to confirm all the other earlier responses found here, it seems the place of the wedding and hospital was indeed The Mount, in Faversham:

https://imganuncios.mitula.net/flat_to_rent_in_the_mount_london_road_faversham_me13_9130066469301395333.jpg

All the best
Jon

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 00:15:14 »
Thank you conan :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 22:58:41 »
The Hospital is still going and is on Stone street, an interesting adjunct is that Faversham's War Memorial is right outside, which may have some bearing on your quest.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 21:38:24 »
You could be right Grandarog.  I can't find any record of my Great aunt being a fully qualified nurse. She was a maid in Canterbury in 1911 ( by co-incidence, just a couple of minutes from where I now live).

Where is or was the Cottage Hospital in Faversham ?

JW

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 16:55:04 »
I may well be completely wrong. Have you considered the Faversham Cottage Hospital as an option. The nurse standing to the rear of the couple behind the St John ambulance does not look like a Red Cross or St John VAD .The Cap and cuffs suggest to me civilian nurse.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 23:22:23 »
Wow - Bromtonboy and Herb Collector.  Your combined replies have helped considerably and added info that I was lacking.

I'll see if I can match the large bay windows and shutters in one of the properties.  The current aerial view of the Mount has large bay windows at the rear similar to that in the photo.  It might be worth a visit sometime but it's now converted to flats so might not get access to the rear.

Thank you both

JW

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 21:01:43 »
As Bromptonboy notes there were two military hospitals in Faversham, Lees Court at Sheldwich, click here for photos, scroll down a bit, and The Mount, modern photo here.
Not that they are much help in identifying where your photo was taken, I have added them for more general interest.

Kent No. 140 VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachments), Faversham, was formed from the nursing division in October, 1914, and mobilised at once. A large empty house, "The Mount"  Faversham, was offered rent free by the executors of the late Mr. Percy Neame and the neighbourhood was canvassed for promises of equipment, etc. Friends responded willingly, with the result that very little had to be bought. The hospital was opened on November 18th with fifty-two beds.
From Kent's Care for the Wounded, Creswick, Pond and Ashton, published 1915. 

If I had to make a choice I would go with The Mount on account of St John Ambulance being more likely to serve with another volunteer organization, but that is only a guess.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 18:55:23 »
I guess you already know much of this.

Horace James Friend Burch Born 11 Dec 1879 in Plomesgate, Suffolk. Bap 24 Dec 1882 in St John the Baptist Church, Butley, Suffolk.

In the 1901 Census he is listed as a Sapper Royal Engineers at Brompton Barracks Chatham.

In 1917 we know he was in a Military Hospital in Faversham. There were two such hospitals in Faversham. The Mount and Lees Court. I can't tell which one is in your photos.

Horace was medically discharged on 15 Nov 1918 when he was listed as an Acting Lance Corporal in the RE Transport Depot.

Horace passed away in 1945 in Lothingland, Suffolk.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Identification of this Faversham Hospital WW1
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 17:06:25 »
A bit of a long shot but this forum never ceases to amaze me :)

These two photos were taken of my Great Aunt's Wedding in 1917.  Her husband Horace Burch (from Suffolk, Sapper Royal Engineers) was injured and brought to a hospital in Faversham around 1916.  My Great Aunt, Annie Impett, was nursing there and they ended up being married and went on to have 10 children.

My question is this - can anyone identify where the hospital was in Faversham?

Thanks
JW

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines