News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blue Bell Hill barrows ?  (Read 1701 times)

Online davpott

• Appreciation 46
Re: Blue Bell Hill barrows ?
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 20:23:24 »
Possibly hay bales left to rot into the ground. I know there are regulations restricting how many hay harvests farmers may use/sell. When the weather is better than usual they still harvest the hay but it is then left to rot.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 11:48:16 »
No one else biting. I wanted to see if anyone else was making the same guess as me. I don't have GE on this device so don't know if the track marks on Bing match those GE one's?

However, the Bing tracks are not a tipper lorry or a tractor. They seem to be from a wide, single-axle, two-wheeled thing. Look at the turns. Only ever one pair of tracks. They tighten up in really tight turns.

My guess now is that this is something we kind of course for those pony traps? Still seems an odd way of doing that, with boulders sticking out?
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 16:17:16 »
Funny how we do enjoy trying to solve the puzzle, rather than just asking.  :)

I was looking at the image in Bing Maps ( the aerial view ). Again lots of those vehicle tracks. Is this the same image as seen in GE 2007?

The mounds seem fairly fresh here. I wonder what can be made from the wheel marks and the way they move around the mounds. Note the distance between the wheels change.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 17:55:47 »
Spoils the detective aspect just going to the owner? Much more fun seeing the different thought processes.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 14:22:25 »
Wouldn't it be simpler to ask the owner?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 23:31:48 »
John Walker, they look more like bags of hay or silage.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 19:56:42 »
In the field opposite there appears to be two long lines of dumped soil/rocks.  The track to the left of the piles comes out near to the entrance to the field with the 'barrows' in.

I still think it's rock clearance from the fields prior to crops being planted.  It will be interesting if someone comes up with the definitive answer :)

JW

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 12:48:01 »
Sorry for delay in replying. I did take a photo, which I have now managed to crop. Not good quality, but hope it shows what I meant by not collapsed. Not fallen in on a hollow into itself, but instead that the sides remain quite pert and not eroded into the surrounding earth. I hope this is evident in the distant mound.
The foreground mound has the few stones placed at the roadside end. It seemed that all the ones near the road had this feature. This is what reminded me of the Kennet Long Barrow I saw a few days earlier. These Kentish ones were obviously too small to have crawled into.
The vehicle tracks to each on GE is mysterious. There seems no point in dumping unwanted stones in piles in the middle of a useful field. I would have thought that such tipping may have been done into the borders and perhaps in one spot.
Still confused why the mounds are all the same size, same deliberate oval shape and seem to form a regular pattern in the field. There are lots of horses in nearby fields, so wonder if this is some kind of jumping course for them? Then again the protruding stones would seem to be a nasty hazard?
My bet is modern "druids".

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 16:02:38 »
I wonder if they could be the result of field scarifying to remove stones from the upper surface. The GE image of 2007 clearly shows vehicle tracks head to/from each. Or could they be tracks from delivering vehicles?

KeithJG

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 14:48:25 »
On the Google Earth maps they appear between 2006 and 2011.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 20:48:51 »
Interesting comment of 'collapsed with time'? Technically, a barrow, or tumulus, is an earthen mound raised over a burial by the excavation of a circular quarry ditch encompassing an earth cut burial. Kits Coty, Coldred stones etc. are chambered tombs, erroniously called long barrows in the past. These consist of a stone slab corridor structure with associated burial chambers covered with earth from a series of parallel quarry ditches either side of the chamber. I assume they collapsed with time relates to a chambered tomb?

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 12:58:58 »
otis. In passing, that pub used to be called "The Robin Hood & Little John". My friend Roy Barnard had an uncle who had a farm on Burham Down in the 40's/50's/60's.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:17:33 »
Thanks for the interest guys.

I kind of figured they were not really ancient, as they did not looked collapsed with time?

Odd thing about them is that they are all the same size and orientated the in the same direction. Seem to be a deliberate construction rather than just random heaps of rocks?

I also thought that the rocks seemed to poke out of just one end? May have just been my perception having been walking around Avebury last week and looking for some kind of sense in them? Which was why I thought barrows, even though they did not seem old enough.

Not very far from Kit's Coty, so perhaps someone just setting up a folly or something?

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:20:15 »
Farmers often through the years removed stones and piled them elsewhere and as we have found out in the past some have been ancient monuments scattered to a place which is not in the farmers way when using his fields, it`s a shame they get moved but once done there is not much that can be done hence the need to get down on paper and in photo form the original place where these stones may have been .
***I am still the child within***

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 00:38:41 »
A thought - Could it be the farmer clearing the field of rocks/stones and leaving them in piles ready for removal?  You can get right alongside them in GSV.

JW

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines