Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blue Bell Hill barrows ?  (Read 210 times)

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 8
Re: Blue Bell Hill barrows ?
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 16:02:38 »
I wonder if they could be the result of field scarifying to remove stones from the upper surface. The GE image of 2007 clearly shows vehicle tracks head to/from each. Or could they be tracks from delivering vehicles?

Offline KeithJG

• Appreciation 16
  • Better to be over the hill than under it
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 14:48:25 »
On the Google Earth maps they appear between 2006 and 2011.
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 20:48:51 »
Interesting comment of 'collapsed with time'? Technically, a barrow, or tumulus, is an earthen mound raised over a burial by the excavation of a circular quarry ditch encompassing an earth cut burial. Kits Coty, Coldred stones etc. are chambered tombs, erroniously called long barrows in the past. These consist of a stone slab corridor structure with associated burial chambers covered with earth from a series of parallel quarry ditches either side of the chamber. I assume they collapsed with time relates to a chambered tomb?

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 12:58:58 »
otis. In passing, that pub used to be called "The Robin Hood & Little John". My friend Roy Barnard had an uncle who had a farm on Burham Down in the 40's/50's/60's.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:17:33 »
Thanks for the interest guys.

I kind of figured they were not really ancient, as they did not looked collapsed with time?

Odd thing about them is that they are all the same size and orientated the in the same direction. Seem to be a deliberate construction rather than just random heaps of rocks?

I also thought that the rocks seemed to poke out of just one end? May have just been my perception having been walking around Avebury last week and looking for some kind of sense in them? Which was why I thought barrows, even though they did not seem old enough.

Not very far from Kit's Coty, so perhaps someone just setting up a folly or something?
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:20:15 »
Farmers often through the years removed stones and piled them elsewhere and as we have found out in the past some have been ancient monuments scattered to a place which is not in the farmers way when using his fields, it`s a shame they get moved but once done there is not much that can be done hence the need to get down on paper and in photo form the original place where these stones may have been .
***I am still the child within***

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 53
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 00:38:41 »
A thought - Could it be the farmer clearing the field of rocks/stones and leaving them in piles ready for removal?  You can get right alongside them in GSV.

JW

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 23:40:26 »
They are certainly modern, they show on the 2015 screen grab but are not visible on the 1940s version

What they are however I can't even begin to guess :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
Blue Bell Hill barrows ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 19:51:50 »
Took a walk along the top if Bluebell Hill today and accidentally ended up in the Robin Hood pub there. Saw something on leaving that confused me ? Turn left out of the pub driveway back onto Common Road and there will be an odd shaped field on the right. In this field are about 18 small mounds. Each looks like it is about 8 feet long, with prominent stones poking out of one end. They look like they could be some kind of ancient burial mounds?

Fast forward and back home, had a look on satellite view. They are in three neat rows and evenly spaced. In fact so even and preserved, that they are unlikely to be that ancient.

Does anyone have any idea what they are?
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines