News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sandhurst War Memorial  (Read 779 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7429
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
Sandhurst War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 23:49:41 »
The village established a war memorial committee, which was chaired by Mr Herbert Alexander and chose a site on Goddards Green in the centre of the village, in front of the village's clock tower, which dates from 1889.

The memorial consists of a Portland stone cross to Lutyens' War Cross design, with a tapering shaft and short arms moulded close to the top, with a sword and a laurel wreath in relief carving. The cross sits on a plinth of three rectangular stone blocks and a base of two shallow stone steps. The dedication is inscribed on the top section of the plinth: "TO THE BRAVE MEN OF SANDHURST WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WARS" (the "s" added later in tribute to the dead from the Second World War); the middle section bears the dates of the First World War and the names of the village's fallen. The dates of the Second World War and the names of the fallen from that conflict were later added to the bottom section. The whole memorial sits on a base of a single shallow step (rather than the three steps commonly found at other Lutyens memorials).

The setting is one of the most elaborate for Lutyens' war memorials. The clock tower rises behind the cross on its main axis, while parallel strips of Portland stone leading out from each side of the base form a large cross in the grass. The tip and arms are terminated by stone benches, while the foot is terminated by a circular flower bed, which is itself bordered by Portland stone.

The memorial was unveiled in August 1923 by George Goschen, 2nd Viscount Goschen.


BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines