News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Globe Hotel, Chatham  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Dozydog

• Appreciation 0
    • Theatre Royal, Chatham
Re: Globe Hotel, Chatham
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 21:24:09 »
I was a volunteer working in the Theatre Royal, Chatham in the 1990's. A man came in for a tour and the subject of The Globe theatre came up, with great delight he informed me that when the theatre closed he removed the globe from the top of the Globe theatre and sold it for scrap.

He said that the Globe was made of brass and had the countries overlaid in copper. I pondered on whether it might be still in existence, when he told me he smashed it up with a hammer before taking it to the scrapyard. I asked him why he would do such a thing, and with a smile he said "times were hard" and he needed the cash.

Sorry that it could not have been better news

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 10:56:55 »
This won't add much to this discussion perhaps, but may be of interest, It shows, beyond the bus, the stunted Globe Tower and the surrounding shops in 1986/7.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:33 »
Hi Smiffy. It was only just up the road from the Wimpy Bar and for the life of me I can't remember back all those years for it's name. Unbelievable that all those pubs have gone!
What do people do for pub crawls nowadays then? :-((
AlanH.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 11:59:41 »
I think the pub you are referring to was the Bull, which as you say was a bit further up the High street. The building is still there but as usual it's not a pub anymore.

I made a comment in another thread about the fact that there is now only one pub left open in the whole of Chatham High Street, something which has probably never happened since there was a Chatham High Street!

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:58:44 »
I made a post re the Globe a few days ago which it seems Kyn deleted as irrelevant! And it was. I was mistaking the Globe and cupola above the Wimpy for the pub in the 1969 pic which shows a Ford Zodiac MkIV parked just where the High St opened out wider.
Problem is I've never seen the upper storeys of most of the old buildings and I really should have paid more attention instead of just going between pubs....
AlanH.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 23:55:59 »
No worries, just a misunderstanding.

Earliest mention of the Globe I can find is 1769. I've no idea when it ceased being a pub, but as you say, the Wimpy was already there in 1964 so that gives us the latest date.

This is the Globe Hotel that preceded the current building:

KeithJG

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 21:50:37 »
Sorry smiffy understand now :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 14:28:25 »
KeithJG,

Yes, there is no doubt that the windowed turret was definitely still there (and still is) but the dome (cupola) on top of it with the globe is clearly missing.

Regarding the bread rolls, a little bit of dirt never seemed to hurt anyone in those days. As for the special little snowflakes we have now - well...

KeithJG

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:10:28 »
Wow Lyn L....we are almost the same age, you know the beer 16/64 that was our ages in time. Funny you were there during the day and myself during the evening?

Well smiffy, talking about ham rolls or bread rolls........reminded me when one evening sitting right at the back of the Wimpy there was a rush on for burgers.

The bread rolls were all kept in wooden draws that you could see from the back seats and this young teenage girl in her very clean Wimpy outfit pulled out the draw in a hurry and all the rolls dropped on the dirty floor........she quickly hussled them up and put them back in the draw and carried on as though nothing had happened...... Lol :)

Imagine today all the drama if somebody saw that happen.....it was a different healthy era then.

I have tried to help with the 1969 picture smiffy.....and although I have overdone the shades it does bring out the cupola more which is arrowed.
As you can see the roof of the cupola is in line the same as the 1967 picture of the building.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 17:03:48 »
Yes smiffy, it was always busy, especially Fridays and Saturdays. The Gaggia incident I referred to happened a second time ( was a slippery handle ) and I was moved to the shop opposite what was the Bowling Alley on Watling St, that only sold bread and cakes, they obviously thought I was dangerous. Left at Christmas 1964.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 14:49:48 »
Lyn L, I remember going into Nicholas Kingsmans quite a few times with Mum for a cup of coffee and a ham roll. :)  Always seemed to be quite busy.

KeithJG, I have the 1969 picture referred to - the quality isn't good but even zooming in I can't see any sign of the cupola. The picture on the right is a crop from the one dated 1967.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:59 »
I'm a bit tongue in cheek here, but that Nicholas Kingsman`s  bakers and coffee shop, was where I worked and let the handle of the Gaggia machine slip, evacuated the shop of all customers BUT obviously wasn't me that caused the Cupola and Globe to disappear, cos it was 1963 /64  :)
Great to see the photos from back then, thanks!
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

KeithJG

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 23:11:26 »
Smiffy, check the 2nd picture as it was 1969 and the cupola is there :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 23:00:17 »
I like the top picture where someone has just happily parked their nice new Vauxhall Victor in a convenient place while they do a bit of shopping. I think you can only drive along there now if you are delivering.

The cupola is absent in a photo from 1967 so was obviously removed for some reason during the nine year window between '58 - '67.

KeithJG

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 15:50:15 »
smiffy, you are correct in saying not many pictures around of this part of the High Street and it has taken me about 2 years to find these. The views found often go the other way that you want?

Reason for me being interested was the fact that it 1964 us scooter Mods used the Wimpy Bar most nights and we all parked our scooters jutting out from the pavement in a long line outside. :)

Also a gathering point was the spare ground which was between pubs The Royal Exchange and the Von Alton further along towards Rochester.

A distant view of The Globe Hotel from the Halfords picture.

Wimpy Bar in 1970 and another in 1958 with the Cupola and The Globe in large letters.

Also as Burger King.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines