Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Globe Hotel, Chatham  (Read 1034 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 26
Re: Globe Hotel, Chatham
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:48 »
Was that pub really called the Red Lion? I had the impression it was something else but included the "Long bar" or something. I used to drink in the Globe in the early 60s when it was run by a bloke named Claude or Clarence. Only a small bar but quite a good atmosphere.
I actually didn't realise the building was such a big one until seeing this picture. Thnx.
AlanH.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 57
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 21:33:39 »
No one's head got cold in those days!

The Red Lion can just be seen on the right, but no sign of traffic lights yet. They were in the process of being installed all around the country by this time, so I imagine the copper on duty wouldn't be there for much longer.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 20:33:57 »
What a marvellous photograph, Smiffy.  And not one person without a hat!  It is a great library of photos you have, always enjoy seeing them.
DTT

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 57
Globe Hotel, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 15:55:37 »
This picture I believe dates to 1934. The roof of Barnard's is visible in the background and Burton's is right of centre. This was probably taken during the short time-window when they were both standing at the same time. Of interest is the Globe Hotel in the middle distance - this is the only photograph I have seen of it where the turret window has its cupola and perched atop is a (presumably) golden globe. The building still stands, but both the cupola and globe have mysteriously disappeared.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines