Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for family history info for Alfred William Arthur Cook of Chartham  (Read 477 times)

Offline annieP

• Appreciation 0
Thank you Scoop. That is great information it really adds to what I have.

I am trying to piece together a picture of his life for my mother. She is his unknown daughter shall we say. She knew a few basic details and I have found some more but hit a bit of a wall. She was shown a picture of him in the cavalry as a mounted drummer by her mother.

I have been unable to find out where he was buried, any ideas on that?

I will have a look on a map to see where the properties are.

Thank you so much.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 48
Are you looking for something in particular?

Here is a little about Alfred William Arthur Cook:

Born 24th Dec 1895 Chartham.   
Baptised 23 Feb 1896 Littlebourne Kent. Parents: Frederick (An Upholsterer) & Lydia Amy Cook.

Summary of his Army service record:
Alfred W A Cook No 2781 Enlisted Canterbury 9 Jun 1920 Aged 14 & 6 months.  Born Chartham, Kent.  Stated trade on entry Musician.
At various times he was in 21st Lancers, Royal Corps of Signals.
Campaigns/Medals: Shabkadar (Pakistan) 5 Sep 1915, 1915-15 Star, British War & Victory Medal.
Discharged 8 Jun 1931 on Termination of engagement (KR Para 370 xxi)

Re-enlisted, Royal Engineers? No 311968 31 Oct 1939 and subsequently transferred to the Royal Armoured Corp.
An entry on his service record indicates he may have been admitted to 'military psychiatric hospital' 14 Nov 1942.
He was discharged from the Army 16 Mar 1945 on medical grounds (KR Para 390 xvi).

He married Madge Elizabeth Baldock 31 July 1926 at St. Marys, Chartham.
A Corporal in the 17/12st Lancers, his stated age was 30 and his residence at the time was 'Aldershot'.

In 1939, Alfred was living at "Elm" Hatch Lane with his Father, Frederick b 12 Apr 1863 and mother Lydia A b 6th Feb 1872. His occupation is given as "Relayer permanent way, general labourer heavy work"
Madge was living at 'Forge House', Chartham with her mother? Elizabeth b 12 Jul 1856, daughter Norah b 14 Aug 1930, plus 3 redacted entries presumably the other children of the marriage.

Likely death registrations for his parents:
Lydia A Cook d Q4 1954 Bridge District Vol 5B P57
Frederick Cook d Q1 1941 Elham District Vol 2A P3891

"Elm" is the 3rd property on the left as you travel north up Hatch Lane from the A28.
"Forge House" is Number 21 Shalmsford St, Chartham.

Offline annieP

• Appreciation 0
Hello everyone,

I have been doing my family research and was looking for any additional information for the Cook family of Chartham or any of the places mentioned below.

Alfred William Arthur Cook 1896 to 1946, married to Madge.  They had 4 children, Harrold, Dennis, Norah and Geoffrey.

I know Alfred was in the 21st Lancers and in 1930 was resident in Barracks (cavalry quarters) with his wife in Twickenham.

When he died in 1946 he was a railway policeman (southern railway), he died in Elm Bungalow, Hatch Lane in Chartham possibly living with his sister Rosa.

Thank you

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines