News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RAF Lympne  (Read 61599 times)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
RAF Lympne
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:24:41 »
A last minute change of plan led to my son & I going to Lympne on Sunday afternoon, I'd heard of a small underground bunker used for emergency control which we decided to look for. We had a wander through the Air Raid Shelters and Admin Buildings at the end of Otterpool Road, and then set off across the fields (and a sea of mud!) in search of the bunker.

The bunker is right in the middle of a field

Entrance is down a set of steps and leads to a 3 room bunker

I think some WD40 is cal
led for!

Some sort of tool cabinet?

Two of the rooms had small post holes in the floor and fittings on the wall that suggest there were plotting tables here

Up another small run of steps to the (narrow) escape hatch and the observation bunker

An interesting explore, there were remnants of wiring in the back room coming in from across the field. Would be interested in any more information anyone has. Very little remains of the airfield outbuildings now other than those at the end of Otterpool Road, but what does surprise me is the lack of pillboxes or other hard standing defence points.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines