News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St. Lawrence, Hawkhurst  (Read 1175 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
St. Lawrence, Hawkhurst
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 17:34:48 »


Situated in The Moor this church shows evidence of late 13th century construction at the north east side of the building, in 1360 the whole of the eastern half of the church was rebuilt and it was around this time the arches of the two chapels and chancel arch were added.





The tower was added in the 15th century and the nave walls were rebuilt around this time.  It was then that the two porches were added with spiral staircases up to the rooms above.



On the 13th August 1944 a flying bomb landed in the churchyard and blew out the south windows and damaged the roofs.  These were replaced in 1950.











The font is 15th century






























 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines